What is the maximum speed of a 4.00kg mass attached to a spring with k=20.0N/m?

• Thread starter Gokuraku
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a question about finding the maximum speed of a 4.00kg mass attached to a spring with a spring constant of 20.0N/m. The answer is supposed to be 0.671m/s, but the person was getting 0.612m/s despite trying to re-solve it. The solution is found by using the equation Wspring=(1/2)kx^2 and setting it equal to (1/2)mv^2, resulting in a maximum speed of 0.6708 or 0.671m/s. The person apologizes for bothering and thanks the respondent for their help.
Gokuraku

Homework Statement

I'm sorry to bother anyone but this question is really driving me insane. It's one of my question on my notes and I've been trying to re-solve it.
It's in oscillatory unit and apparently we have to know what the speed is.

A 4.00kg mass is an horizontal frictionless surface attached to a spring with k=20.0N/m. The mass is pulled 0.300m from a equilibrium, then let go.

Homework Equations

max speed

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer is suppose to be 0.671m/s but I keep getting 0.612m/s...

..Never mind I figured it out.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Wspring=(1/2)kx^2
so W=.5*20*.3^2=.9

since the max speed is when all the energy is kinetic you can say the Wspring=(1/2)mv^2
so .9=.5*4*v^2

.45=v^2
sqrt(.45)=.6708 or .671

raindrops said:
Wspring=(1/2)kx^2
so W=.5*20*.3^2=.9

since the max speed is when all the energy is kinetic you can say the Wspring=(1/2)mv^2
so .9=.5*4*v^2

.45=v^2
sqrt(.45)=.6708 or .671

Thank you for replying, I'm very happy but I already solved it.

I just remember, when you told me, that kinetic energy is in there since it's in motion. Again, thank you and I'm very sorry.

What is a "Very annoying question"?

A "Very annoying question" is a type of question that is asked repeatedly or in a way that is irritating or frustrating to the person being asked. It can also refer to a question that is considered rude or invasive.

Why do people ask "Very annoying questions"?

People may ask "Very annoying questions" because they are genuinely curious, trying to make conversation, or simply not aware that their question may be considered annoying. However, some people may ask "Very annoying questions" on purpose to annoy or provoke a reaction from others.

How do I respond to a "Very annoying question"?

The best way to respond to a "Very annoying question" depends on the situation and the person asking. In some cases, it may be best to politely answer the question and move on. In other cases, it may be appropriate to redirect the conversation or politely decline to answer the question. If the question is offensive or invasive, it is okay to set boundaries and let the person know their question is not acceptable.

What are some examples of "Very annoying questions"?

Examples of "Very annoying questions" may include asking someone about their weight, salary, or personal relationships. Other examples may include repeatedly asking someone the same question, asking inappropriate or offensive questions, or asking questions that are already obvious or easily found through a simple Google search.

How can I avoid asking "Very annoying questions"?

To avoid asking "Very annoying questions," try to be mindful of the person you are speaking to and their boundaries. Don't ask questions that are too personal or invasive. Instead, ask open-ended questions that allow for a deeper conversation. If you are unsure if a question may be considered annoying, it's best to not ask it and find another topic to talk about.