Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Very Awesome Nonlinear ODE

1. Jul 9, 2011 #1
    [tex]y^2=y' \Rightarrow y=\frac{y'}{y} \Rightarrow \int y dx = ln \left( y \right) \Rightarrow y=e^{\int y dx}=e^{\int e^{\int y dx} dx}=e^{\int e^{\int e^{\int y dx} dx} dx}=\cdots[/tex]

Is that correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2011 #2

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

Why not just say:
    [tex]
    \frac{y'}{y^{2}}=1\Rightarrow -\frac{1}{y}=x+C
    [/tex]

4. Jul 9, 2011 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Which is the same as y= -1/(x+C) so that [itex]\int ydx= -ln(x+C)+ C_2[/itex] so that
    [itex]e^{\int ydx}=C_2 \frac{1}{x+ C}= \frac{-1}{x+ C}= y[/itex]
    so, yes, your chain of exponentials is correct- but a very complicated way of writing a very simple function.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2011
  5. Jul 9, 2011 #4
    This reminds me of a problem in a math contest I once saw. Solve:

[tex]x^{x^{x^{x^\ldots}}} = 2[/tex]

The answer is [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex].

6. Jul 9, 2011 #5
    Yeah, I found the real solution. But, it's the fact that something so contrived is equal to something so simple that makes it awesome.

7. Jul 9, 2011 #6
    That was the first thing that came to mind. Btw, you [STRIKE]would[/STRIKE] could solve that "infinite power tower" using (4) here: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/LambertW-Function.html.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  8. Jul 10, 2011 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If
    [tex]x^{x^{x^{x^\ldots}}}= 2[/tex]
    then
    [tex]x^{\left(x^{x^{x^\ldots}}\right)}= x^2=2[/tex]

More generally, if
    [tex]x^{x^{x^{x^\ldots}}}= a> 0[/tex]
    then [itex]x=\sqrt{a}[/itex].

9. Jul 10, 2011 #8

mheslep

Gold Member

almost:
    [itex]x=\sqrt[a]{a}[/itex]

10. Jul 10, 2011 #9
    Actually, it should be [itex]a^{1/a}[/itex], no?

But this is true only if there is a solution. When I substitute [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] for x and iterate it, it does indeed converge to 2. But when I try it for cube root of 3, it doesn't converge to 3. It converges, but to 2.47805. What's more, when I ask Mathematica for [itex]-\frac{\text{ProductLog}[-\text{Log}[z]]}{\text{Log}[z]}[/itex], which is supposed to give the infinite power tower of z (see http://mathworld.wolfram.com/PowerTower.html), it does in fact come to 2.47805. MathWorld says it converges only up to [itex]e^{1/e}[/itex]. The interesting thing is, [itex]2.47805^{1/2.47805}[/itex] equals the cube root of 3.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook