Circuit Q Basics: Understand Electrical Circuits

• Thread starter User1265
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary: This is because the equivalent resistance of the two parallel resistors is 0 ohms. Therefore, the current will not flow through the 6 ohm resistor.In summary, the 6 ohm resistor in this circuit is short-circuited by the 0 ohm resistor, resulting in an equivalent resistance of 0 ohms and causing all the current to pass through the short. This is due to Kirchhoff's current law and the properties of parallel resistors.
User1265
Homework Statement
Image insert.
Are the two resistors in series or Parallel? and why so?
Relevant Equations
V=IR
2019-10-07.png

Attachments

• 2019-10-07.png
    2019-10-07.png
    25.9 KB · Views: 158
Physics news on Phys.org
As per our Forum rules you must make an effort to answer the question before you can receive help. Tell us what you think.

Recall Kirchhoff's current law, the sum of currents flowing into a node is equal to the sum of currents flowing out of it. Two resistors are said to be in series if they are siege to the same current, otherwise they are parallel.
Your circuit is a bit special, however. The wire connecting the two poles of the ##6\,\Omega## resistor short-circuits it because it is considered to be a ##0\,\Omega## resistor, as a result of which we theoretically assume that all the current will pass through it and none will pass through the bottom resistor. You might ask why this is, and I'll answer : compute the equivalent resistance with ##R_1=6\,\Omega## and ##R_2=0\,\Omega## and you'll find it to be ##0\,\Omega##.
2019-10-07.png

Last edited:
Likes User1265
"compute the equivalent resistance with ##R_1=6\,\Omega## and ##R_2=0\,\Omega## and you'll find it to be ##0\,\Omega##."

Thank you! I forgot the zero resistance, but I don't understand the instructions quoted above, explaining as to why no current will pass though the 6 ohm resistor

kuruman said:
As per our Forum rules you must make an effort to answer the question before you can receive help. Tell us what you think.
I thought 6 ohm and 4 ohm were parallel since they shared the same two nodes, but I'm not sure if this is even the correct reason, as there is a battery between in the upper branch opposite the diagonal branch.

User1265 said:
I thought 6 ohm and 4 ohm were parallel since they shared the same two nodes, but I'm not sure if this is even the correct reason, as there is a battery between in the upper branch opposite the diagonal branch.
For future reference, something like this belongs in your original post under "Attempt at a solution".
User1265 said:
"compute the equivalent resistance with ##R_1=6\,\Omega## and ##R_2=0\,\Omega## and you'll find it to be ##0\,\Omega##."

Thank you! I forgot the zero resistance, but I don't understand the instructions quoted above, explaining as to why no current will pass though the 6 ohm resistor
The 6 ohm resistor is in parallel with the short (0 ohm resistor). When the current reaches the node, it will take the path of least resistance. In this case all the available current will go through the short.

Last edited:
Likes User1265

1. What is an electrical circuit?

An electrical circuit is a closed loop of conductive material that allows the flow of electric current to power devices and systems.

2. What are the basic components of a circuit?

The basic components of a circuit include a power source, conductors, resistors, capacitors, inductors, and switches. These components work together to control and direct the flow of electric current.

3. How does a circuit work?

A circuit works by connecting a power source, such as a battery, to a load, such as a light bulb. The power source provides the energy, and the conductors carry the electric current to the load. The load then uses the energy to perform a task, such as producing light or powering a device.

4. What is the difference between series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, the components are connected in a single loop, with the same amount of current flowing through each component. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected in multiple branches, with the current splitting and flowing through each component separately.

5. How do you calculate voltage, current, and resistance in a circuit?

Voltage can be calculated by multiplying the current by the resistance, using the formula V=IR. Current can be calculated by dividing the voltage by the resistance, using the formula I=V/R. Resistance can be calculated by dividing the voltage by the current, using the formula R=V/I.