Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Very basic help on notations

1. Sep 26, 2007 #1

I am a CS student trying to learn the basics of quantum physics. Sadly I cant even get pass the definition of Dirac notation because I do not know the meanings of some basic notations

The only thing I know is that V (superscript T) means transpose. Switch between column and row.

However, I keep seeing notations such as
    V (superscript *)
    V (superscript +) ==> [look more like a cross]

Can someone tell me that those mean? or maybe tell me what to read to learn about these basic notations?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2007 #2
    Usually, V (superscript *) means complex conjugated matrix (i.e., all entries of V are complex conjugated) and V (superscript +) means Hermitean conjugated matrix (i.e., V is transposed and complex conjugated).

You should check the exact definitions in your textbook, because some authors use different notations.

4. Sep 26, 2007 #3
    thanks for your help

actually I was reading on my own. The book I picked didnt go over such minor detail.
  5. Sep 27, 2007 #4
    Always use multiple sources when reading on your own.
  6. Sep 27, 2007 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Just so you know, what you're having problems with are the mathematics, not the physics. These are notations typically taken from mathematics and represents mathematical operations or situations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?