1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Very basic magnetism question

1. Oct 17, 2004 #1
    This is a prelab question for a lab I'm supposed to do tomorrow but I feel like I'm so baffled at how simple the quesiton is that I'm afraid to put down an answer for fear of misunderstanding the question:

The earth's field appears as it were produced by a strong permanent magnet embedded in its core and aligned in the north-south direction. But which end is which? Which way do you think the north end of the earth's permanent magnet points? Why?

From what I understand the north pole of earth's magnetic field is only a few hundred miles away from the physical north and the south pole is only a few hundred miles away from the physical south. Which "way" the magnet points would be toward the physical south if I understand the correctly. As to "why" I can't even venture a guess because it's my understanding that the earth has switched polarity plenty of times so I can't really give a definitive answer. Could someone offer a more clear explanation to this? I'd appreciate it.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2004 #2

Science Advisor

4. Oct 17, 2004 #3
    Thanks for clearing that up. I knew the question had to be counterintuitive just by the fact that it was a lab question.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?