Can an electromagnet effectively trap metal particles in a cube?

In summary, the individual is trying to concentrate metal particles in a specific location within a glass cube. They have attempted using two magnets with north poles facing each other, but the particles still move around. They are seeking advice on how to use electromagnets or other methods to trap the particles in the center of the cube. Some suggestions include using a Penning trap or acoustic tweezers, but limitations and potential chaos make these options less feasible. A suggestion is made to use multiple electromagnets on each side of the cube, but it may require fine tuning and may still be difficult to achieve. Ultimately, it is deemed a difficult task and the individual is encouraged to continue experimenting.
cashflow
The most physics I ever took was Physics C in high school (physics with calculus). I have now forgotten almost all of it, with remnants of memory here and there (Biot-Savart law comes to mind). Anyway, this not a homework question. I am trying to trap some metal particles at a particular location in space (some arbitrary location). The particles are blowing all over the place in a cube, and I need to concentrate them at a particular location. Now, these particles have a net force in a magnetic field. Concept wise, I thought I could just stick two magnets (with the north poles facing each other) at opposite sides of the cube. In practice, the particles still whiz around and fail to collect in the middle. So, now I'm sending an SOS to the physicists-- how can I trap these metal particles in the middle (using an electromagnet if necessary)?

This is purely a conceptual question. There are no dimensions or whatever (the cube has an arbitrary side length). I can blow around as many particles as I want in the glass cube (using a small fan). I just want the stuff to collect in the middle. So, how can I position these external magnets? :biggrin: Oh, and the particles are iron.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you can. The iron will be attracted to the pole face; you want the iron going to where the pole face isn't.

Vanadium 50 said:
I don't think you can. The iron will be attracted to the pole face; you want the iron going to where the pole face isn't.

What if I do some kind of Penning trap? Would that work on iron (I read somewhere that iron can behave like ions, which didn't make sense)? Or perhaps some other molecule? Although I doubt I can recreate something complex looking like a penning trap with household electromagnets...

So it's not possible to get any molecule to collect at some location using electromagnets?

Please enlighten me, o smart ones :biggrin:

If they are iron what's wrong with using one very strong magnet directly under where you want them to collect? I imagine they may stick to the glass some short distance away (due to friction) but perhaps vibrating the glass would fix that. Perhaps make the bottom of the box funnel shape with the magnet at the bottom?

I suppose there might also be a way using sound...

Google acoustic tweezers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I need to "trap" the particles at the center of the cube, and the cube cannot have any other object besides the iron particles (or other particles/molecules) :frown: Well, I'll try and think of something. So no one knows any other way? The acoustic tweezers were pretty cool though, but does not work for my situation :\

There's only way I can think that might work, and requires a lot fine tuning even if it would work. Mechanical interference is likely to make it too chaotic to be feasable. You might try placing an electromagnet on each side of the cube and switching them on and off at the right frequency to pull the iron back toward the center. If timed right one magnet pulls them past center, then before reaching the wall turn that magnet off and turn the magnet on the other side on.

It actually looks like a lost cause, but you can try.

What is physics?

Physics is the branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It seeks to understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the natural world.

What are the basic principles of physics?

The basic principles of physics include Newton's laws of motion, the laws of thermodynamics, the theory of relativity, and the laws of electromagnetism. These principles explain how objects move, interact, and behave in different situations.

What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is measured in kilograms, while weight is measured in newtons (or pounds in some countries).

What is the speed of light?

The speed of light is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum. This is a fundamental constant in physics and is denoted by the letter "c". It plays a crucial role in the theory of relativity and the study of electromagnetism.

What is the difference between potential energy and kinetic energy?

Potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or configuration, while kinetic energy is the energy an object has due to its motion. Potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy and vice versa, as described by the law of conservation of energy.