Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: VERY BASIC Question on Waves

1. Feb 6, 2010 #1
    Since speed = wavelength x frequency, I'd like to know what are the effects of increasing/decreasing the frequency? I know this sounds like a really basic question but I just can't understand it!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2010 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Hi MZET, welcome to PF.
    The relation " Since speed = wavelength x frequency" is true for a given medium.
    Frequency depends on the nature of the source. Speed and hence the wavelength depends on the nature of the medium.
    So for a given medium, as frequency increases, wavelength decreases.

4. Feb 6, 2010 #3
    The speed of the wave is based on the properties of matter it travels through. I would recommend treating it as constant for a while.
    Let's have a theoretical wave with frequency of 1Hz and travelling at 1m/s. What it's wavelength. Now what happens if you double or half the frequency?

If you understood that, you can send you wave through another matters where it travels with say 2 m/s or 0.5 m/s.

If all above done, start travelling yourself. Go 0.5 m/s against and with the 1 m/s wave. How often will you encounter the same phase (e.g. top) of the wave? This is Doppler effect.

5. Feb 6, 2010 #4
    Thanks for the answers guys! So does speed always decrease when frequency decreases?

6. Feb 6, 2010 #5
    :)

If you keep wavelength constant, which is about the only value you cannot in real world.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook