When is a Collection of Finite or Countable Subsets a Topology?

• Thread starter jacobrhcp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Topology
In summary, the conversation discussed the conditions for the collections of finite and countable subsets of a set X to form a topology. It was determined that if X is finite, both collections form a topology, but if X is infinite, the collection of finite subsets does not form a topology. For the collection of countable subsets, it forms a topology only if X is countable.
jacobrhcp
[SOLVED] very basic topology questions

Homework Statement

Let X be a set and T be the collection of X and all finite subsets of X. When is T a topology? Let T' be the collection of X and all countable subsets of X, when is T' a topology?

The Attempt at a Solution

it's clear the empty set and X are in T
if two finite subsets united, the new set is also a finite subset
the intersection between two finite subsets is again finite.

The only hole I can find is when I unite an infinite amount of finite substes of X, but what restriction does that give on X? Surely, if X is finite T is a topology... but surely I can say a bit more than that?

I use the same reasoning for the countable version of the question, and I find that if X is countable T' is a topology... but again, I'm left wondering if there is nothing more to say.

Physics news on Phys.org
Not really!

what do you mean?

That I said all there is to say?

so are there no infinite sets for which the collection of finite subsets (and X itself) form a topology?

Yes, if X is finite then T is a topology. If, however, X is not finite, choose anyone "open" set. Call it Y. Now take the union of all "open" sets except Y. Can you show that the union is not finites and so not an open set? That proves that T is a topology if and only if X is finite.

For the second part, you can say T' is a topology if and only if X is countable itself.

ah, thanks... I'm confident I can do that :)

Last edited:

1. What is topology?

Topology is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of geometric objects that are unchanged under continuous transformations, such as stretching, bending, twisting, and folding.

2. What is the difference between topology and geometry?

Topology focuses on the qualitative properties of geometric objects, while geometry focuses on the quantitative properties, such as angles, lengths, and areas.

3. What are the main areas of study in topology?

The main areas of study in topology include point-set topology, algebraic topology, and differential topology.

4. What are some common topological concepts?

Some common topological concepts include continuity, compactness, connectedness, and homeomorphism.

5. What are some applications of topology?

Topology has applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, computer science, and biology. It is used to study the shape of data, analyze networks and systems, and model physical phenomena.