1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Very confusing capacitor question

1. Feb 21, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

C1=2[μF] and C2=6[μF] are first connected individually to their own 12[V] battery ; after disconnecting from the batteries, C2's + side is then connected to C1's − side
    . . . the battery 2's + side is connected to the battery 1's − side , and the other sides are connected to C3=4[μF] ; after disconnecting from the batteries, C3's + side → C1's + side , and C3's − side → C2's − side .
    (a) How much charge is on each capacitor
    (b) what Voltage is across each Capacitor
    (c) how much Energy does each store ?

2. Relevant equations

Q=VC, PE=.5CV^2

3. The attempt at a solution

I am at a loss as to how this circuit is supposed to end up looking. I ended up drawing 3 capacitors in series, C1 into C3 into C2. Now, to find the charge I just did Q=VC for each one and got answers, but then the next question is the voltage across them, if I use V=Q/C it's just going to give me the voltage I used in the last problem. So i'm doing one of those wrong. And the question is just very confusing to me.

Thanks for any help
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted