Very Difficult Chemistry Problem

• Thread starter itsmybedtime
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the pH of a solution resulting from mixing specific volumes of two different concentrations of HCN and NaCN, as well as determining the best indicator for a titration between CH3NH2 and HBr. The calculations and resulting answers are found to be incorrect and the student expresses confusion and asks for help. Suggestions are given to check alternative textbooks and to review the topic of weak acid-base equilibria. The importance of understanding quadratic equations and logarithms is also mentioned. Finally, it is determined that CH3NH2 is a base and not an acid, and suggestions are given for how to determine the pH at the equivalence point in a titration.
itsmybedtime

Homework Statement

1. a) Calculate pH of solution that results form mixing 16.5 mL of 0.182 M HCN (aq) with 29.2 mL of 0.105 M NaCN. Ka of HCN is 4.9*10^-10

b) and how could we determine what 'indicator' would be the 'best' to use for a titration between 0.10 M CH3NH2 with 0.10 M HBr?

Homework Equations

pH = Pka + log([A-]/[HA])
ka=kw/kb

The Attempt at a Solution

a) pH = -log(4.9*10^-10) + log(.105/.182), which turns out wrong, the answer is actually 9.32(why?).

b) found the kb of CH3NH2 to be 4.4*10^-4, thus ka is found from the given equation. anyway it gives something in the range of 10 or so, the answer is actually 4-6, why? These questions have no likes in the textbook that my professor issued and the material is confusing. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
itsmybedtime said:
log(.105/.182), which turns out wrong, the answer is actually 9.32(why?).

These are not concentrations in the final solution. You have not mixed 1:1 volumes (in which case at least ratio of the concentrations would be preserved).

b) found the kb of CH3NH2 to be 4.4*10^-4, thus ka is found from the given equation. anyway it gives something in the range of 10 or so, the answer is actually 4-6, why?

Hard to say not seeing what you did. However, you have a weak acid that - once dissolved - gives alkalic solution? Gimme a break :wink:

Equivalence point calculation.

Selecting indicators for acid-base titration.

itsmybedtime wrote:
b) found the kb of CH3NH2 to be 4.4*10^-4, thus ka is found from the given equation. anyway it gives something in the range of 10 or so, the answer is actually 4-6, why?

Borek responded:
Hard to say not seeing what you did. However, you have a weak acid that - once dissolved - gives alkalic solution? Gimme a break

Borek, we are not sure what he meant by "10 or so"; itsmybedtime is confused and maybe is not clear on what some calculated values (possibly miscalculated) mean.

itsmybedtime next wrote:
These questions have no likes in the textbook that my professor issued and the material is confusing. Please help.

If that is really true, then you really should check some alternative textbooks, either another General Chemistry book, or one or two analytical textbooks with the topic of Neutralization Titrations. Are you certain that your professor did not discuss the topic details of weak acid-base equilibria more thoroughly during class lectures? Some proressors do this to fill some inadequacies of the chosen course textbook.

Some advice about studying weak acids & bases: Understanding their equilibria often requires studying the topic more than once; learning can be much/somewhat better the second time, even a third time. Also, develop some skill with quadratic equations and logarithms. They are essential PRACTICAL arithmetic for weak acids and bases.

symbolipoint said:
Borek, we are not sure what he meant by "10 or so"; itsmybedtime is confused and maybe is not clear on what some calculated values (possibly miscalculated) mean.

I can be wrong, but my understanding was that itsmybedtime calculated pH to be 10. As we deal with an acid solution, this result is wrong at first sight - one should expect pH below 7. This is just a reflex, you don't need to check details of the calculations to know that they have to be wrong in this case. That's what I was aiming at.

itsmybedtime asked about:
b) found the kb of CH3NH2 to be 4.4*10^-4, thus ka is found from the given equation. anyway it gives something in the range of 10 or so, the answer is actually 4-6, why? These questions have no likes in the textbook that my professor issued and the material is confusing. Please help.

One possible source of trouble is that CH3NH2 is a BASE, NOT an acid. Did you make a mistake in calculating Kb ? Do you know that most of your Kb calculations for this will involve [OH-] and that you might be justified in neglecting hydronium ions?

In any case, if you are titrating a weak base using a strong acid titrant, and you know Kb for the base, can you predict about at what pH will be the equivalence point? This will give you some idea which indicator to choose.

symbolipoint said:
One possible source of trouble is that CH3NH2 is a BASE, NOT an acid.

That's the correct approach - calculate Ka of conjugate acid from known Kb, use this Ka to calculate pH.

At the equivalence point you have just a solution of CH3NH3+ - which is a weak, conjugate acid of CH3NH2. This acid determines pH of the solution.

thanks for the insights everyone! I will be working on problems like this all night tonight. :smile:

1. What makes a chemistry problem "very difficult"?

A chemistry problem is considered very difficult if it requires a high level of understanding and application of complex concepts, calculations, and experimental techniques. These problems often involve multiple steps, require critical thinking, and may have more than one correct solution.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for difficult chemistry problems?

To improve your problem-solving skills in chemistry, it is important to have a strong foundation in the basic concepts and principles. Practice regularly, and try to break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts. Also, familiarize yourself with common problem-solving strategies and approaches.

3. Is it normal to struggle with difficult chemistry problems?

Yes, it is normal to struggle with difficult chemistry problems. Chemistry is a complex and challenging subject, and even experienced scientists may face difficulties in solving certain problems. Don't get discouraged and keep practicing and seeking help when needed.

4. How can I approach a very difficult chemistry problem if I don't understand the question?

If you don't understand a difficult chemistry problem, try breaking it down into smaller parts and identifying the key concepts and principles involved. Look for clues in the problem statement and try to relate it to your current knowledge. If needed, seek help from a teacher or peer.

5. Can advanced technology or equipment help in solving very difficult chemistry problems?

In some cases, advanced technology or equipment can aid in solving very difficult chemistry problems. For example, spectroscopy techniques can provide valuable data for analyzing complex chemical structures. However, a deep understanding of the underlying principles and concepts is still crucial in solving these problems.