Very dumb question please dont laugh at me

• Thread starter linux kid
  • Start date
So in 10^3, the larger number would be 10.In summary, 10^3 = 1,000 because an exponent indicates the number being multiplied by itself a certain number of times. In this case, 10 is multiplied by itself 3 times, resulting in 1,000. It is not 300 because the larger number in this equation is 10, not 3.
linux kid
how is 10^3 = 1,000 ? I don't get it. Isn't that 300?

Physics news on Phys.org
10*10=100
100*10=1000
or
10*10*10

linux kid, please post your questions in the appropriate forum. Do not use the tutorial subforums for your questions. You've had two previous threads posted in here moved to other places because they didn't belong here. Please take the effort to find the right place to start your threads.

Look at http://www.purplemath.com/modules/exponent.htm" for a basic explanation.

Last edited by a moderator:
linux kid said:

If you didn't know, all the "^3" means is a number multiplied by itself 3 times. EX- 4^3=64, 6^2=36, 9^5=59049 and so on

what you're thinking of is different. when you have an exponent, you multiply the larger number by itselfas many times as the exponent says. aka: 1^6 would be 1x1x1x1x1x1, or 1 times itself 6 times. another would be 3^4 which would mean 3 times itself 4 times giving you 3x3x3x3

so 10^3 would be 10 times itself 10 times. 10x10x10. 10x10 is 100 leaving you with 100x10. 100x10 is 1000, lo and behold there is your answer.

Ki Man said:
what you're thinking of is different. when you have an exponent, you multiply the larger number by itselfas many times as the exponent says.

Larger number? Such terminology could easily confuse the unwary reader.

linux kid said:

By what logic would it be 300 ? Why not 3000 ?

Daniel.

neutrino said:
Larger number? Such terminology could easily confuse the unwary reader.

i should edit that. What i mean is the value that isn't written in superscript

What makes a question "very dumb"?

A question can be considered "very dumb" if it lacks basic knowledge or understanding of a topic or if it has an obvious or easily searchable answer.

Why should I not be afraid to ask "very dumb" questions?

Asking questions, even if they may seem "very dumb," is an important part of learning and gaining knowledge. Everyone has to start somewhere and there is no shame in not knowing something.

Will I be judged for asking "very dumb" questions?

As a scientist, it is our job to encourage and facilitate learning and understanding. Asking questions, no matter how "dumb" they may seem, is always encouraged and should not be met with judgment.

How can I avoid asking "very dumb" questions?

One way to avoid asking "very dumb" questions is to do some research beforehand. Utilize reliable sources such as books, articles, or experts in the field to gain some basic knowledge before asking a question.

What is the best way to respond to someone who asks a "very dumb" question?

The best way to respond to someone asking a "very dumb" question is to be patient and understanding. Remember that everyone has different levels of knowledge and it is important to foster a positive learning environment by encouraging questions and providing helpful answers.