1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Very easy circuit question.

1. Oct 3, 2006 #1
    I understand everything in the solution of this problem, except the expresson
    [tex]2I_{x}I_{2}=16W [/tex] supplied. can some one please tell me whats going on here?

I thought that Power was the product of current and voltage. How can I get power out of the current source in the center of the mesh?

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 3, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2006 #2
    I cannot see your document (approval usually takes a while), but I have a question: is the 2 referring to 2 ohms of resistance? Based on your description, it seems like the 2 is 2 ohms of internal battery resistance.

Also, remember that:
    V = IR
    P = IV
    Therefore [tex]P = I^2R[/tex].

4. Oct 3, 2006 #3
    No, sorry there are not resistors in the diagram.

5. Oct 3, 2006 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Attachment is still pending approval, but you get power from a current source based on the voltage that is across the current source as it supplies the current. If you supply current into a 10V load, that's 10x the power compared to if you source that current into a 1V load.

6. Oct 3, 2006 #5
    Can anyone see the image that I have linked to?

7. Oct 3, 2006 #6
    Its approved now.

8. Oct 3, 2006 #7
    any suggestins now that you can view the file?

9. Oct 3, 2006 #8
    Are you doing mesh power(???) analysis?

Anyway, to answer your question, the [tex] 2I_x I_2 = 16W[/tex] is a power because it uses the dependent voltage source, which has a voltage of [tex]2I_x[/tex].

Any other questions?

10. Oct 3, 2006 #9
    I see now. Thank you!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?