How does the expression 2I_x I_2 = 16W relate to power in a circuit?

• Thread starter Mesmer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of power in a circuit using mesh analysis. The specific expression 2I_x I_2 = 16W is explained as being a power calculation involving a dependent voltage source. The conversation also touches on the relationship between power, current, and voltage in a circuit.
Mesmer
I understand everything in the solution of this problem, except the expresson
[tex]2I_{x}I_{2}=16W [/tex] supplied. can some one please tell me what's going on here?

I thought that Power was the product of current and voltage. How can I get power out of the current source in the center of the mesh?http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/3175/screenshot003zo4.th.jpg [Broken]

Attachments

• Doc1.pdf
    86.2 KB · Views: 212
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I cannot see your document (approval usually takes a while), but I have a question: is the 2 referring to 2 ohms of resistance? Based on your description, it seems like the 2 is 2 ohms of internal battery resistance.

Also, remember that:
V = IR
P = IV
Therefore [tex]P = I^2R[/tex].

No, sorry there are not resistors in the diagram.

Mesmer said:
I thought that Power was the product of current and voltage. How can I get power out of the current source in the center of the mesh?
Attachment is still pending approval, but you get power from a current source based on the voltage that is across the current source as it supplies the current. If you supply current into a 10V load, that's 10x the power compared to if you source that current into a 1V load.

Can anyone see the image that I have linked to?

Its approved now.

any suggestins now that you can view the file?

Mesmer said:
I understand everything in the solution of this problem, except the expresson
[tex]2I_{x}I_{2}=16W [/tex] supplied. can some one please tell me what's going on here?

I thought that Power was the product of current and voltage. How can I get power out of the current source in the center of the mesh?

Are you doing mesh power(?) analysis?

Anyway, to answer your question, the [tex] 2I_x I_2 = 16W[/tex] is a power because it uses the dependent voltage source, which has a voltage of [tex]2I_x[/tex].

Any other questions?

Mindscrape said:
Are you doing mesh power(?) analysis?

Anyway, to answer your question, the [tex] 2I_x I_2 = 16W[/tex] is a power because it uses the dependent voltage source, which has a voltage of [tex]2I_x[/tex].

Any other questions?

I see now. Thank you!

1. What is a circuit?

A circuit is a path that electricity flows through, usually made up of wires and components like resistors, capacitors, and transistors.

2. What makes a circuit "very easy"?

A circuit can be considered "very easy" when it is simple and straightforward to understand and assemble, usually with only a few components and connections.

3. How do I make a very easy circuit?

To make a very easy circuit, you will need a power source (like a battery), some wires, and a component (like a light bulb). Connect the positive (+) end of the battery to one end of the component, then connect the other end of the component to the negative (-) end of the battery. This creates a complete circuit and the component should turn on.

4. What are some examples of very easy circuits?

Some examples of very easy circuits include a simple flashlight (battery, wires, light bulb), a doorbell (battery, wires, buzzer), and a basic switch (battery, wire, switch, light bulb).

5. Why is it important to understand circuits?

Understanding circuits is important because they are the building blocks of all electronic devices. Having a basic understanding of how circuits work can help you troubleshoot and repair electronics, as well as design and create your own inventions.