1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Very easy problem that i dont understand

1. Oct 11, 2005 #1
    m is a positive integer m = 12r

so r must be positive and an integer

why must r be an integer?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2005 #2
    I think that they are claiming r to be an integer, to guarantee that m is an integer. I'm not sure what the else the question/statement says, but that's what I believe they're getting across.

4. Oct 11, 2005 #3
    furthermore, I think the text is trying to focus on certain "main" number sets. I.e. integers, rationals, irrationals, etc. So they say r is an integer. If r is not an integer, and say irrational, then of course m would not necessarily be an integral number>0. Simply put, the integers is the only safe-bet for r to belong to, so that m is positive and greater than zero (for all r in the set).

5. Oct 12, 2005 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It doesn't, it might be 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, 1/6, or even 1/12. All of those make m a positive integer. Of course, the other way is true: IF r is an integer then m must be- the integers are "closed" under multiplication. Exactly what did the book you got this from say?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?