Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Very easy problem that i dont understand

1. Oct 11, 2005 #1
    m is a positive integer m = 12r

so r must be positive and an integer

why must r be an integer?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2005 #2
    I think that they are claiming r to be an integer, to guarantee that m is an integer. I'm not sure what the else the question/statement says, but that's what I believe they're getting across.
  4. Oct 11, 2005 #3
    furthermore, I think the text is trying to focus on certain "main" number sets. I.e. integers, rationals, irrationals, etc. So they say r is an integer. If r is not an integer, and say irrational, then of course m would not necessarily be an integral number>0. Simply put, the integers is the only safe-bet for r to belong to, so that m is positive and greater than zero (for all r in the set).
  5. Oct 12, 2005 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It doesn't, it might be 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, 1/6, or even 1/12. All of those make m a positive integer. Of course, the other way is true: IF r is an integer then m must be- the integers are "closed" under multiplication. Exactly what did the book you got this from say?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?