1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Very easy question in physics.

1. Oct 27, 2011 #1
    Question :

Name three forms of long range communication that don't use cables to carry the signals.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2011 #2
    Maybe you should try this by yourself, given that it's easy?

4. Oct 27, 2011 #3
    What do you think I've been trying to do? :D

I don't get what it means.

Does it mean : Radio waves, satellite etc...
    Or, does it mean : Mobile phone, television etc...

5. Oct 27, 2011 #4
    Please just answer it, I've been doing my homework all night. This is the last question I've got to do and then I can go and relax.
    Please answer. :D

6. Oct 27, 2011 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Yes, those are along the right track. :smile:

That's now how it works here on the PF. We do not do your schoolwork for you. See the Rules link at the top of the page.

7. Oct 27, 2011 #6

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I think you misunderstand the purpose of this forum. If you have a specific question (e.g. "are hand signals a form of communication or not?") folks will be happy to help but just asking that someone do your work for you isn't going to go over too well.

EDIT: Ah, I see berkeman beat me to it.

8. Oct 27, 2011 #7
    Dude, I don't even get what you're talking about.

When it says "3 forms", does it mean satellite signals, radio waves, t.v signals etc.... or does it mean the object. Like a mobile phone, a television

You're not giving me the answer, you're just telling me which one it is.
    I'm basically doing it myself, I just don't know which one it is.
    So please, please, please tell me.

And guess what? I've just remembered I've still got an english essay to redraft.
    School is sooooo depressing! :(

9. Oct 27, 2011 #8
    Essentially you are looking for 3 forms of communication that exploit electromagnetic waves.

10. Oct 27, 2011 #9
    Sandy, I don't know if you've noticed, but I'm not that smart at physics.
    What does that mean?

Please just tell me; is it : The actual object, like television, mobile phones... or radio waves, satellite signals...

11. Oct 27, 2011 #10

berkeman

That's more of a semantics question. "forms of communication" would be types of communication. What forms of communication use radio waves? You already cited a couple. What form of long-range (many miles) communication is used by a species other than humans...? What form of long-range communication uses fire?

12. Oct 27, 2011 #11
  13. Oct 27, 2011 #12
    Dude, dude, dude!!!!
    Is it mobile phones, television.... <--- THE ACTUAL OBJECT

ORRRRR, IS IT SATELLITE AND RADIO WAVESSSSSS.......???

14. Oct 27, 2011 #13

BruceW

Homework Helper

Depends on what your teacher meant. I would guess your teacher meant different kinds of communication system. So yes, the 'actual object', since each object usually works using a different communication system. And by system, I mean software/hardware infrastructure.

15. Oct 27, 2011 #14

berkeman

:tongue2:

I agree with Sir Dude Bruce. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook