How do you solve this definite integral without a calculator?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving an integral from 0 to 1 of ln(x+1)/(x^2 +1) dx, and various methods to solve it are suggested, such as integration by parts, using complex analysis, or using the power series. A solution involving a substitution and partial fractions is also proposed. It is later revealed that the problem is from the 2005 Putnam competition and can be solved with various substitutions. The final solution involves using a trigonometric substitution to simplify the integral, resulting in the answer pi/8*ln2.
SNOOTCHIEBOOCHEE
Im studing for a math competition. One of the probles is as follows

fnInt( (Ln(x+1)/(x^2 +1)),x,0,1)

If you don't know that notation. it means Integral from 0 to 1 of Ln(x+1)/(x^2 +1)

OBVIOUSLY NO CALCULATORS... I am looking for a solution, not an answer

Thanks
~rosie

Physics news on Phys.org
Integration by parts

I believe that if you try an integration by parts, with u=ln(x+1) and dv=1+x^2, that should get you stated--i believe will will have to do one more integration by parts and then some long division but i think that will get you to the end

Is that
[tex]\frac{ln(x+1)}{x^2+1}[/tex]
which is what nate808 is asumming or
[tex]ln(\frac{x+1}{x^2+1})[/tex]
which is how I would read it?

If it's ln [tex]ln(\frac{x+1}{x^2+1})[/tex] do Integration by parts with
dv = 1 dx, and [tex]u = ln(\frac{x+1}{x^2+1})[/tex], and be prepared for a lot of messy simplification and some partial fractions . Note the integral of [tex]1 /(x^2 + 1)[/tex] is [tex]tan^{-1} (x)[/tex] if it's the other integral then good luck to you.

HallsofIvy said:
Is that
[tex]\frac{ln(x+1)}{x^2+1}[/tex]
which is what nate808 is asumming or
[tex]ln(\frac{x+1}{x^2+1})[/tex]
which is how I would read it?

I would guess, based on the parentheses that he used, that it should be:

[tex]\frac{ln(x+1)}{x^2+1}[/tex], in which case parts makes the most sense. Though, I would most likely take [tex]u=ln(x+1)[/tex] and [tex]dv=\frac{dx}{x^2+1}[/tex]. Integrating dv will most likely require either partial fractions or trig. substitution, though I can't honestly say that I've worked it out.

Last edited:
You'll probably need

[tex] \int_{0}^{1}\frac{\arctan x}{1+x}dx=\allowbreak \mbox{\func{Catalan}}-\frac{1}{2}i \ \mbox{\func{dilog}}\left( \frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{2}i\right) +\frac{1}{2}i \ \mbox{\func{dilog}}\left( \frac{1}{2}-\frac{1}{2}i\right) [/tex]

Daniel.

I don't yet see any obvious algebraic tricks. (e.g. make a clever substitution, with an easy way to relate the new integral to the old one)

My next thought is complex analysis. Maybe there's some nice contour over which you can integrate that simplifies this. My first thought is to integrate it over a rectangle, two of whose edges are [0, 1] on the real axis, and [0, H] on the complex axis, then take the limit as H goes to infinity. I haven't tried working through the algebra though, I don't know if it will be helpful.

Note that if you try this approach, you either have to use a small semicircle to avoid the pole at i... or use partial fractions to break the integrand up into two parts, and do an upwards strip for one part, and a downwards strip for the other.

My third thought is to try a power series: you can find the power series for the integrand, and you can integrate that power series -- maybe you can recognize the resulting infinite sum.

Maybe I'll think about this a bit at work and have a better idea for you later.

Prolly should read ln(x) in the numerator. Then you have int ln(x)/(x^2+1),0,1

Widder shows how this integral is equal to -(pi^2)/8.

1) Substitute 1 - x^2 + x^4 - x^6... for the 1/(1-x^2) term

2) Interchange summation and integration

3) integrate (x^2k)*ln(x+1) by parts

4) Sum the infinite series

The value of your original (with derivation) appears in Todhunter's Integral Calculus Text (circa 1860's)... it is available via www.elibron.com

lots of ingenious integration devices in there actually...:bugeye:

factor x^2 + 1 = (x+i)(x-i) and use partial fraction A/x+i B/x-i

TheIntegrator said:
The value of your original (with derivation) appears in Todhunter's Integral Calculus Text (circa 1860's)... it is available via www.elibron.com
lots of ingenious integration devices in there actually...:bugeye:

The book isn't free unfortunately.

This is a problem from the 2005 Putnam competition (problem A5, to be precise). It can be solved with a choice of nifty substitutions :

Problems : http://www.unl.edu/amc/a-activities/a7-problems/putnam/-pdf/2005.pdf

Solutions : http://www.unl.edu/amc/a-activities/a7-problems/putnam/-pdf/2005s.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Integral

Integral from 0 to 1 of ln(x+1)/(x^2 +1) dx isn't that hard actually but I only know one way to do it.
1/(x^2+1) = (arctg x)' ... (ie the derivate of arctan x) tg(x)=tan(x)
you change the variable and the integral becomes
integral from 0 to pi/4 of ln(1+tg(x)) dx
by making the following substitution you should get it done:
x=pi/4-u
dx=-du
the integral becomes
- integral from pi/4 to 0 of ln(1+tg(pi/4-u)) du =
integral from 0 to pi/4 of ln(1+((1-tg(u)/(1+tg(u))) du =
integral from 0 to pi/4 of ln(2/(1+tg(u)) du =
integral from 0 to pi/4 of ln2 du - integral from 0 to pi/4 of ln(1+tgu) du
and you're back from where you started.
That means our integral I is
I=pi/4*ln2-I => 2I=pi/4*ln2 => I=pi/8*ln2

1. What is a very hard definite integral?

A very hard definite integral is a mathematical concept that involves finding the area under a curve in a given interval. It is considered "very hard" because it requires advanced mathematical techniques and can be challenging to solve.

2. How is a very hard definite integral different from a regular definite integral?

A very hard definite integral is different from a regular definite integral in terms of its complexity. While a regular definite integral may be solved using basic integration techniques, a very hard definite integral requires more advanced methods such as substitution, integration by parts, or numerical integration.

3. What are some real-world applications of very hard definite integrals?

Very hard definite integrals have numerous applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to calculate quantities such as volume, work, and probability in real-world scenarios.

4. How do you approach solving a very hard definite integral?

The first step in solving a very hard definite integral is to identify the appropriate integration technique. This may involve recognizing patterns, using substitution, or breaking the integral into smaller parts. Then, the integral is solved using the chosen technique, and the result is checked for accuracy.

5. What are some tips for solving very hard definite integrals?

Some tips for solving very hard definite integrals include identifying and using appropriate integration techniques, breaking the integral into smaller parts, utilizing symmetry and properties of integrals, and practicing with a variety of examples. It is also helpful to verify the solution using differentiation or an online calculator.