Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

VERY hard integral (atleast to me)

1. Jul 6, 2005 #1
    I am trying to integrate from 0 to 8

C (t)e^-rt

and C(t) is equal to 50t^1/2 (50 times the square root of t)

I was thinking I could use an infinite series method, the one in the form of e to the x, and my x would be -rt. But if I decide to go that route, then what would I do with 50t^1/2 ?

What do you all think?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Make the sub [itex] u=\sqrt{t} [/itex] and then part integration and use the definition of "erf".

Daniel.

4. Jul 6, 2005 #3
    Yes I think part integration is the way to go.

In case you have no idea what erf(x) is, here is a link to read up on.

[tex]erf(x) = \frac{2}{\sqrt{\pi}}\int_{0}^{z}e^{-t^2}dt[/tex]

Jameson

Last edited: Jul 6, 2005
  5. Jul 6, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your definition is not normalized to unity. We like those kind of definitions, though.

Daniel.

6. Jul 6, 2005 #5
    I'm sorry, I don't quite understand how a definition is normalized to unity. Please explain. Is the variables, lack of defining things...?

7. Jul 6, 2005 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I meant the function. For your "erf" [itex] \lim_{x\rightarrow +\infty} \ erf(x) =\frac{1}{2} [/itex].

Daniel.

P.S.You should have picked the constant as to make the limit "+1".

8. Jul 6, 2005 #7
    Apologies then to all. I was just putting my two cents of what I knew in. As usual Daniel, you know much more than myself.

9. Jul 6, 2005 #8

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's not compulsory to use a constant before the integral, u can drop it. But we usually have conventions when defining special functions.

We can define

[tex] \tan x=:\sqrt{\pi\sqrt{e\sqrt{\varphi}}} \ \frac{\sin x}{\cos x} [/tex]

,but the convention is to choose the constant =1.

Daniel.

10. Jul 6, 2005 #9
    Could you explain why? Why doesn't the constant make a difference?

11. Jul 6, 2005 #10

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why would it? You can define the function

[tex] eerf (x) =\int_{0}^{x} \exp\left(-t^{2}\right) \ dt [/tex].

Daniel.

12. Jul 6, 2005 #11

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

First of all, you need to address it with a diferent name."Tangent" and the shortening "tan" are already used for a function. Then you need to make your function known and accepted. Since it's basically a rescaling of an already existing object, i'm sure everyone will reject it. As i said, it's all a matter of conventions and definitions. It's the majority of mathematicians that decide whether your convention/definition or "X"'s is better and should be accepted.

I think this is running off topic and it shouldn't. If i didn't make my point clear, that's it.

Daniel.

13. Jul 6, 2005 #12
    I see your point. I was just confused if you were discussing new functions or ones previously established.

From Mathworld - "Note that some authors (e.g., Whittaker and Watson 1990, p. 341) define erf(z) without the leading factor of [itex]\frac{2}{\sqrt{\pi}}[/itex]"

So it seems both definitions are acceptable.

14. Jul 8, 2005 #13
    For example, if I had my way, sin(x) would be denoted by $(x), and cos(x) would be denoted by ©(x). :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?