VERY hard integral (atleast to me)

In summary, the conversation discusses the integration of a function from 0 to 8, with C(t) being equal to 50 times the square root of t. The use of an infinite series method is suggested, as well as making the substitution u=\sqrt{t} and using part integration and the definition of erf(x). The discussion also touches on the normalization of the function and the importance of conventions and definitions in mathematics.
Techman07
I am trying to integrate from 0 to 8

C (t)e^-rt

and C(t) is equal to 50t^1/2 (50 times the square root of t)

I was thinking I could use an infinite series method, the one in the form of e to the x, and my x would be -rt. But if I decide to go that route, then what would I do with 50t^1/2 ?

What do you all think?

Physics news on Phys.org
Make the sub [itex] u=\sqrt{t} [/itex] and then part integration and use the definition of "erf".

Daniel.

Yes I think part integration is the way to go.

In case you have no idea what erf(x) is, here is a link to read up on.

[tex]erf(x) = \frac{2}{\sqrt{\pi}}\int_{0}^{z}e^{-t^2}dt[/tex]

Jameson

Last edited by a moderator:
Your definition is not normalized to unity. We like those kind of definitions, though.

Daniel.

I'm sorry, I don't quite understand how a definition is normalized to unity. Please explain. Is the variables, lack of defining things...?

I meant the function. For your "erf" [itex] \lim_{x\rightarrow +\infty} \ erf(x) =\frac{1}{2} [/itex].

Daniel.

P.S.You should have picked the constant as to make the limit "+1".

Apologies then to all. I was just putting my two cents of what I knew in. As usual Daniel, you know much more than myself.

It's not compulsory to use a constant before the integral, u can drop it. But we usually have conventions when defining special functions.

We can define

[tex] \tan x=:\sqrt{\pi\sqrt{e\sqrt{\varphi}}} \ \frac{\sin x}{\cos x} [/tex]

,but the convention is to choose the constant =1.

Daniel.

Could you explain why? Why doesn't the constant make a difference?

Why would it? You can define the function

[tex] eerf (x) =\int_{0}^{x} \exp\left(-t^{2}\right) \ dt [/tex].

Daniel.

First of all, you need to address it with a diferent name."Tangent" and the shortening "tan" are already used for a function. Then you need to make your function known and accepted. Since it's basically a rescaling of an already existing object, I'm sure everyone will reject it. As i said, it's all a matter of conventions and definitions. It's the majority of mathematicians that decide whether your convention/definition or "X"'s is better and should be accepted.

I think this is running off topic and it shouldn't. If i didn't make my point clear, that's it.

Daniel.

I see your point. I was just confused if you were discussing new functions or ones previously established.

From Mathworld - "Note that some authors (e.g., Whittaker and Watson 1990, p. 341) define erf(z) without the leading factor of [itex]\frac{2}{\sqrt{\pi}}[/itex]"

So it seems both definitions are acceptable.

dextercioby said:
First of all, you need to address it with a diferent name."Tangent" and the shortening "tan" are already used for a function. Then you need to make your function known and accepted. Since it's basically a rescaling of an already existing object, I'm sure everyone will reject it. As i said, it's all a matter of conventions and definitions. It's the majority of mathematicians that decide whether your convention/definition or "X"'s is better and should be accepted.
For example, if I had my way, sin(x) would be denoted by $(x), and cos(x) would be denoted by ©(x). :biggrin:

What is a "VERY hard integral"?

A "VERY hard integral" is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the area under a curve of a complex function. It is considered "very hard" because it requires advanced mathematical knowledge and techniques to solve.

Why are "VERY hard integrals" challenging to solve?

"VERY hard integrals" are challenging to solve because they often involve complicated functions that cannot be solved using basic integration techniques. They require advanced mathematical knowledge and techniques, such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions, to solve.

What are the applications of solving "VERY hard integrals"?

Solving "VERY hard integrals" has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It can be used to calculate the area under a curve, which is essential for finding quantities such as displacement, velocity, and acceleration in physics, or profit and cost in economics.

What are some tips for solving "VERY hard integrals"?

Some tips for solving "VERY hard integrals" include recognizing patterns in the integrand, using trigonometric identities, and trying different integration techniques. It is also helpful to practice solving various integrals and to have a good understanding of basic integration rules.

How can I improve my skills in solving "VERY hard integrals"?

To improve your skills in solving "VERY hard integrals," it is important to have a strong foundation in basic integration techniques and to practice solving a variety of integrals. You can also seek help from a tutor or attend workshops or online courses on advanced integration techniques.