1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Very hard integral. please help me guys

1. Apr 17, 2013 #1
    hi guys!
    can you please help me with this integral? Ive tried some subs but i realy dont know how to start....
    Thank you !!!!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Expanding with ##\sqrt{\ln(9-x)}-\sqrt{\ln(3+x)}## gives
    $$\frac {\sqrt{\ln(9-x)}\left(\sqrt{\ln(9-x)}-\sqrt{\ln(3+x)}\right)} {\ln(9-x)-\ln(3+x)}$$

That can be split into two parts, where one part looks easy and the other part can be simplified significantly. I don't know if that will lead to a solution, however.

4. Apr 17, 2013 #3
    first of all thank you!
    Ive tried this and it lead me nowhere..

5. Apr 17, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Hmm okay, I don't see how to solve the remaining part either.

An interesting observation: 3+x goes from 5 to 7, while 9-x goes from 7 to 5. There could be some symmetry to exploit, but I did not find it yet.

6. Apr 18, 2013 #5
    Thats actually very interesting because according to the answers the answer is 1.
    Can someone help me...?

7. Apr 18, 2013 #6

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Hint: substitute ##\displaystyle x = 6-y##.

EDIT: numerous glitches in the PF software are making it difficult to post. Basically, I wanted to add: don't try to simplify the integrand, etc. Just do the sub, and see what happens to the bounds. This is actually a very simple problem in disguise.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  8. Apr 18, 2013 #7
    I cant remove the disguise... :(

9. Apr 18, 2013 #8
    this is what i get

Attached Files:

10. Apr 18, 2013 #9

mfb

2016 Award

Ah nice, that is the right way to solve it.
    @omri_mar: You can modify this new integrand to look similar to the old one now.

11. Apr 18, 2013 #10
    I dont get it. How can I continue?

12. Apr 18, 2013 #11
    Try adding together the new integral and the old one

13. Apr 18, 2013 #12
    what do you mean?

14. Apr 18, 2013 #13

mfb

2016 Award

You have an equation (old integral)=(new integral). Try to write (new integral) as (something)-(old integral). This gives you an equation like 2*(old integral)=(something), and (something) is easy to calculate.

Don't write PMs, please.

15. Apr 19, 2013 #14

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Sorry for the late reply - I just noticed your bounds are off in the attachment to post 8. Your bounds should be reversed (identical to the original integral). Don't forget that ##dy = -dx##. Other than that, the other posters have already told you how to proceed. Remember that in a definite integral, the variable of integration is basically just a dummy variable, so whether it's x or y, it doesn't matter. So just replace the y in the new integral with x, and add it to the original integral. Now you have twice the original integral, and it's equal to something very simple.

16. Apr 19, 2013 #15

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

(Most of post deleted in Edit. It was pretty much redundant with Curious3141 post. )

Now modify the numerator by adding and subtracting ... (something clever) .

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted