1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Very hard problem >_<

1. Jan 14, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    You are on an island, and you reach a fork in the road. You want to go to the Cuddly-Wuddly tribe, not the Nasty-wasty tribe. Cuddly-Wuddlies always tell the truth, while Nasty-Wasties always lie. A man is standing in the middle of the road, but you don't know what tribe he's from. You can only ask 1 question; what question do you ask to know which way to go?

2. Relevant equations
    None. I just got this in math class, that's why it's in this forum.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Ask if he was of the other tribe, which way leads to the Cuddly-Wuddly tribe, go the other way. The closest guess in the class is to ask which way is NOT the Cuddly-wuddly tribe.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I think what you really meant was: ask "If I were to ask a person of the other tribe the way to the Cuddly-wuddly tribe, what would he answer?", then go the other way.

Yes, that works. If the person is of the Cuddly-wuddly tribe, the other tribe is the Nasty-wasty tribe and would point the wrong way. The person of the Cuddly-wuddly tribe would answer your answer truthfully by pointing the wrong way.

If the person is of the Nasty-wasty tribe, the other tribe is the Cuddly-wuddly tribe and would point the correct way. A person of the Nasty-wasty tribe would answer untruthfully by pointing the wrong way.

In either case, the person is would point the wrong way. Going the other way leads to the Cuddly-wuddly tribe.

Now, excuse me. Having written "Cuddly-wuddly" and "Nasty-wasty" so many times, I need to go fwow-up.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  4. Jan 15, 2009 #3
    I think the following question would work too. It is simpler...

"Which way is your tribe?"

Either way, the man points to the Cuddly-Wuddly tribe, yes?

5. Jan 16, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Ouch! That's embarassing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?