Solving Hard Physics Problem: Flowerpot Falling from Balcony

• Thread starter nemzy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hard
In summary, the problem involves a flowerpot being knocked off a balcony 18.0 m above the sidewalk and a man of height 1.85 m standing below. The question is how high from the ground can the flowerpot be before it is too late for a shouted warning to reach the man in time. To solve this, the time it takes for the sound to travel from the balcony to the man must be added to the man's reaction time. This time is then subtracted from the total time it takes for the flowerpot to reach the man, which can be calculated using the formula y = 18 - 1.85. The resulting time is then used to find the maximum height the flowerpot can be before it
nemzy
A flowerpot is knocked off a balcony 18.0 m above the sidewalk heading for a man of height 1.85 m standing below. How high from the ground can the flowerpot be after which it would be too late for a shouted warning to reach the man in time? Assume that the man below requires 0.300 s to respond to the warning. Take the speed of sound in air to be 343 m/s.

ok, so y=(1/2)gt^2 since there is no initial velocity

but that's all i know, i have no idea how to solve this type of problem

thx

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't know where the person is so I presume they expect you give an estimate, I would go with something like 20 metres (or just choose a dummy variable if you want), work out how long the sound takes to get there and add the reaction time.

Then work out the time it takes the flowerpot to hit this man using

y = 18 - 1.85 (the distance from the ledge to the man)

Once you have this time, minus the time you worked out above then plus this back into the formulae and you have your answer.

Wow I feel like I am back in my AS level Physics class again lol.

I would assume the person who knocked the flower pot over is the one who will shout the warning. So you find the minimum time before impact by adding the reaction time to the time it takes the sound to travel (18-1.85)m. Then just think about it the way Zurtex described it.

1. How do you calculate the velocity of a flowerpot falling from a balcony?

To calculate the velocity of a flowerpot falling from a balcony, you can use the equation v = √(2gh), where v is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and h is the height from which the flowerpot falls. This equation assumes no air resistance and that the flowerpot is dropped, not thrown.

2. What is the acceleration of a flowerpot falling from a balcony?

The acceleration of a flowerpot falling from a balcony is the acceleration due to gravity, which is approximately 9.8 m/s². This means that for every second the flowerpot falls, its velocity increases by 9.8 meters per second.

3. How can I determine the time it takes for a flowerpot to hit the ground?

You can determine the time it takes for a flowerpot to hit the ground by using the equation t = √(2h/g), where t is the time, h is the height from which the flowerpot falls, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This equation assumes no air resistance and that the flowerpot is dropped, not thrown.

4. What factors can affect the outcome of a flowerpot falling from a balcony?

Several factors can affect the outcome of a flowerpot falling from a balcony, including the height from which it falls, the mass of the flowerpot, the presence of air resistance, and the angle at which it is thrown. Other factors, such as wind or surface area of the flowerpot, can also play a role.

5. How can I use physics principles to prevent a flowerpot from breaking when it falls from a balcony?

To prevent a flowerpot from breaking when it falls from a balcony, you can use principles of physics such as conservation of energy and momentum. You can also consider using materials with shock-absorbing properties or placing a cushion or padding on the ground where the flowerpot is likely to land.