Very heavy particle collides with a very light particle

In summary, conservation of energy and momentum are conserved following a head-on collision between two particles of different masses.
coconut62
Question:
A heavy particle of mass m1, moving with speed u, makes a head-on collision with a light particle of mass m2, which is initially at rest. The collision is perfectly elastic, and m2 is very much less than m1, Describe the motion of the particles after the collision.

Answer:
Heavy particle's speed is practically unchanged; light particle moves with speed 2u, in same direction as the incident heavy particle.

My question:
Why must the speed of the light particle be 2u?

Lets say I take a 10kg particle colliding with a 0.1kg particle.

using Principle of Conservation of Momentum,
10u = 10Va + 0.1Vb

...then I take Va to be very small.

No matter how I see, I still cannot see why it's 2u :grumpy:

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you take the velocity of the big particle after the collision very small?

Find the expressions for the velocities after the collision, using also conservation of energy and take the limit m2/m1 --->0.

ehild

ehild said:
Why do you take the velocity of the big particle after the collision very small?
Because "heavy particle's speed is practically unchanged".

ehild said:
Find the expressions for the velocities after the collision, using also conservation of energy and take the limit m2/m1 --->0.

I substituted V1 and V2 into the energy equation and end up in a long-winded equation without being able to get the answer.

Attachments

• 20130404_133441.jpg
    20130404_133441.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 665
coconut62 said:
Because "heavy particle's speed is practically unchanged".
If it is unchanged and remains u, how does it become very small?
coconut62 said:
I substituted V1 and V2 into the energy equation and end up in a long-winded equation without being able to get the answer.

You have two equations with two unknowns - aren't you able to solve? Express V1 in terms of V2 and substitute into the energy equation. Solve for V2.

ehild

I got it, thank you.

Hi ehild and coconut62,

I work on this since yesterday, yet i can not solve this question.
Would you mind showing me how to solve it?

Thanks.

benny.arimon said:
Hi ehild and coconut62,

I work on this since yesterday, yet i can not solve this question.
Would you mind showing me how to solve it?

Thanks.
The procedure for this type of collision is to write the equations for conservation of energy and momentum
M u = M v + m V
M u^2 = M v^2 + m V^2
Now you can write
M (u - v) = m V
M (u^2 - v^2) = m V^2
Now you can divide equations and continue from there.

Why is the speed of heavy particle unchanged??

I will answer this question with an example even though the thread is almost 8 years old.

A piece of gravel bounces off the windshield of a car. Why is the speed of the car unchanged?

Likes DaveC426913
This thread is eight years old.
tanyareynolds said:
Why is the speed of heavy particle unchanged??
Consider the heavy particle to be an 18-wheeler and the light particle to be you. After a collision between you and an 18-wheeler, how large a change in speed do you intuit the 18-wheeler to experience?

Likes kuruman
All other things being equal, Kuruman's answer is less ... gory.

DaveC426913 said:
This thread is eight years old.

Consider the heavy particle to be an 18-wheeler and the light particle to be you. After a collision between you and an 18-wheeler, how large a change in speed do you intuit the 18-wheeler to experience?
Like minds think alike and post alike.

Likes DaveC426913

1. What is a particle collision?

A particle collision is a high-energy event in which two particles, such as protons or electrons, collide with each other at extremely high speeds. These collisions are used to study the fundamental building blocks of matter and the forces that govern their interactions.

2. What happens when a very heavy particle collides with a very light particle?

When a very heavy particle, such as a proton, collides with a very light particle, such as an electron, a transfer of energy and momentum occurs. The heavier particle will typically lose some of its energy and momentum while the lighter particle will gain energy and momentum.

3. What can we learn from these collisions?

Particle collisions allow scientists to study the fundamental properties of matter, such as mass, charge, and spin. They also provide insights into the forces that govern these particles, such as the strong and weak nuclear forces, and the electromagnetic force.

4. Are there any risks involved in particle collisions?

Particle collisions are highly controlled and take place in specialized facilities, such as particle accelerators. While there may be some risks involved in the operation of these facilities, strict safety protocols are in place to minimize any potential risks to both researchers and the general public.

5. How do scientists observe particle collisions?

Scientists use a variety of detectors, such as particle detectors and electromagnetic detectors, to observe and analyze the results of particle collisions. These detectors can measure the energy, momentum, and other properties of the particles produced in the collision, which can provide valuable insights into the nature of matter and the universe.