Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Very neat stirling application

1. Jan 12, 2010 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2010 #2
    It /is/ neat. I'd be interested to know how they start it.

I also saw a prototype variant a couple of years ago, without the fan, that generated a small (very) amount of electricity from the stirling to reduce the amount consumed. The big potential advantage was that by returning the heat to electricity it reduced both the electricity required to run the machine by improving efficiency but also in turn reduced by a very small amount the load on the air conditioning in the room where the machine is operated. Not a huge amount per machine but taken across an entire server farm it starts getting interesting.
  4. Jan 13, 2010 #3
    I firmly believe that this is where our energy problem solutions should focused.
    not on a 'bigger better, new and improved widget" but on how just the addition of a simple, cheap expendable device decreases the energy consumption. Wonder how much they are.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook