Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Very quick entropy problem

1. Dec 4, 2007 #1
    i was just wondering if the entropy increases or decreases when air is pumped into a tire. my guess is that it would decrease because the gas molecules would be closer together. am i correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2007 #2

Danger

Gold Member

In a way, I suppose. Overall, the entropy has to increase, but that can be expressed by the heat released into the atmosphere by the compressor. I guess that it decreases inside the tire.

4. Dec 4, 2007 #3

dst

I'm guessing there's a gain in entropy inside the tire as well. Increasing the pressure is equivalent to increasing heat. On the other hand, the maximum number of positions occupiable by gas molecules has to decrease, but you aso have more gas molecules.

I'm sure this is a common question.

5. Dec 4, 2007 #4

Danger

Gold Member

I was kind of wondering about the heat issue as well, and I really don't know what to make of it. The molecules are more restricted in their range of motion, but they move faster. I don't know whether that counts as an increase, a decrease, or neutrality. :confused:

6. Dec 4, 2007 #5

dst

Sounds like neutrality to me. In a square box, any increase in no. molecules should surely be balanced out by the decrease in volume.

7. Dec 4, 2007 #6
    what about just the inside of the tire. disregard the heat from the compressor, and instead consider the inside of a tire going from deflated to inflated.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?