Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Very quick simple question

1. May 20, 2010 #1
    at what sort of speed ratio (v/c) would one consider relativistic effects to become important? i would probably say when v/c ~ 0.4 as this would make the gamma factor to be ~ 1.1, making a 10% difference (for length contraction, time dilation etc..). is there any "offical" value for where one should begin to consider the effects?

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2010 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Depends on how accurately you need to measure, GPS satelites have to correct for relativity but the effect is tiny.

4. May 20, 2010 #3
    ok well lets say i was to measure the velocity of a small mass particle and one with a larger mass in the lab frame (lets say an electron and proton). if both particle were to have the same wavelength and so same energy would i be correct in saying that due to their sizes it would be appropriote to include relativistic effects on the electron, but not nessasary for the proton within a good accuracy?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook