Understanding the Quotient Rule for Derivatives of 3/x^2

• Thread starter yoleven
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the conversation is about using the quotient rule to differentiate a function and arriving at the correct answer of -6. The conversation also mentions using a calculator and the importance of having a specific value of x when evaluating. It also suggests an alternative method using the product rule to differentiate the function 3/x^2.
yoleven

Homework Statement

3/x^2

when I take the quotient rule ,
I get:
(0*x^2-3*2x)/(x^2)^2
isn't that -6x/x^4 or -6/x^3
My calculator says -6 and so it is, but why and what am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
ok From what i see you are right.the answer is -6x^-3.

but at what point are you evalusting.did they give you a point or did you just type on your calculator.you have to have value of x.to type on your calculator

I originally had to differentiate f(t)=cos^-1(3/t^2)
my answer was f'(t)=-1/sqrt(1-(3/t^2)^2)*-6t
f'(t)=6t/sqrt(1-9/t^4)
I got the "-6t" part wrong, it was supposed to be just -6.

when I differentiate just 3/x^2 into my calculator and it comes out -6
on my ti89 calc. I go to math, calculus, differentiate and type in:
d(3/x^2,x) and get -6

Instead of using the quotient rule, you might find it easier to evaluate
3 x^-2

Oky, thanks. I see my problem.
I should have looked into the mirror sooner, the problem was there all along!

What is a "very simple derivative"?

A "very simple derivative" is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is often used to find the slope of a line tangent to a curve at a given point.

How do you calculate a "very simple derivative"?

To calculate a "very simple derivative", you can use the basic formula of f'(x) = (f(x+h) - f(x)) / h, where h represents an infinitesimally small change in the input variable x. Alternatively, you can use the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, or chain rule depending on the complexity of the function.

What is the importance of understanding "very simple derivatives"?

Understanding "very simple derivatives" is crucial in many fields of science, especially in physics and engineering. It allows us to analyze the rate of change of various physical quantities and make predictions about their behavior. It also helps us to find maximum and minimum points of a function, which is essential in optimization problems.

What are some real-life applications of "very simple derivatives"?

The concept of "very simple derivatives" has numerous real-life applications. For example, it is used in calculating the velocity and acceleration of objects in motion, predicting the growth rate of populations, and analyzing the behavior of financial markets. It is also used in fields such as medicine, biology, and chemistry to understand the rate of change of various biological processes.

Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using "very simple derivatives"?

One limitation of using "very simple derivatives" is that it can only be applied to continuous functions. It also assumes that the function is differentiable at the point of interest, which may not always be the case. Additionally, when dealing with more complex functions, the calculations can become tedious and prone to errors. Hence, it is essential to double-check the results and understand the limitations of using "very simple derivatives" in specific situations.