1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Very Simple Forces Question

1. Sep 20, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Four firefighters hold a square net, one at each corner. Each person exerts a force of 190 N whose line-of-action passes through a point just below the center of the net and makes an angle with the vertical of 50°. What is the net force the firefighters exert on the net?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I've tried splitting the problem into four vectors and solving from there, but I cannot seem to get the correct answer. Also, don't the forces cancel out?

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm lost. Any indication on how to start this one would really be appreciated.
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2010 #2
    Always in these force problem start by drawing a picture. Take every force and calculate the magnitude in the x-axis direction and y-axis direction by taking the cos and sin of the angle with x-axis. Sum the x direction forces together and be sure to take in account that if they have opposite direction they can cancel. When you have the total force in x-direction and y-direction you get the net force by using the Pythagoras theorem that is if the forces in either x or y don't cancel out.
    I have a feeling the answer is 4*190*sin(40).

But understand that x and y directions a chosen by you and are completely relative.
  4. Sep 20, 2010 #3
    Yes, your answer is correct. However, I'm still confused with how you arrived at that conclusion. I solved the vectors (perhaps incorrectly?) and due to direction, all of the forces seem to cancel.
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  5. Sep 20, 2010 #4
    By doing a lot of these problems.

OK be careful they say the angle is 50 with vertical. Usually we prefer the angle with horizontal (x-direction) that is 40.

So you have 4 fireman opposite each other. They are all using the same force but different directions. The net is a square but we shall think of it as a clock(because I can't draw a picture here): so the fireman a positioned at 12, 3, 6 and 9

The one at 12 pulls cos(40)*190N in horizontal (x) but so does the one in 6 but in opposite direction so the forces cancel. The same goes for the ones at 9 and 3. However there is no fireman under the net pulling in the vertical direction. So the vertical part of the force (for every fireman) sin(40)*190N does not cancel. Meaning the total force is the sum of these.

I hope this helps.
  6. Sep 20, 2010 #5
    How, exactly, do we know that there is no fireman under the net pulling in the vertical direction? Isn't the vertical pull sin(40)*190N also?
  7. Sep 20, 2010 #6
    Yes the vertical pull is sin(40)*190N the horizontal is cos(40)*190N.

Because they say: Four firefighters hold a square net, one at each corner.

I don't think i can explain this any better in written text. Just try to imagine, draw a picture, make a force diagram or something of what's going on.
  8. Sep 20, 2010 #7
    Oh! I get it! Thanks a lot!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook