Four Firefighters Holding a Net: Calculating Net Force Question

• Thread starter basenne
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary, the net force the firefighters exert on the net is the sum of the individual forces acting on it.
basenne

Homework Statement

Four firefighters hold a square net, one at each corner. Each person exerts a force of 190 N whose line-of-action passes through a point just below the center of the net and makes an angle with the vertical of 50°. What is the net force the firefighters exert on the net?

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried splitting the problem into four vectors and solving from there, but I cannot seem to get the correct answer. Also, don't the forces cancel out?

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm lost. Any indication on how to start this one would really be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Always in these force problem start by drawing a picture. Take every force and calculate the magnitude in the x-axis direction and y-axis direction by taking the cos and sin of the angle with x-axis. Sum the x direction forces together and be sure to take in account that if they have opposite direction they can cancel. When you have the total force in x-direction and y-direction you get the net force by using the Pythagoras theorem that is if the forces in either x or y don't cancel out.
I have a feeling the answer is 4*190*sin(40).

But understand that x and y directions a chosen by you and are completely relative.

Yes, your answer is correct. However, I'm still confused with how you arrived at that conclusion. I solved the vectors (perhaps incorrectly?) and due to direction, all of the forces seem to cancel.

Last edited:
basenne said:
However, I'm still confused with how you arrived at that conclusion.
By doing a lot of these problems.

OK be careful they say the angle is 50 with vertical. Usually we prefer the angle with horizontal (x-direction) that is 40.

So you have 4 fireman opposite each other. They are all using the same force but different directions. The net is a square but we shall think of it as a clock(because I can't draw a picture here): so the fireman a positioned at 12, 3, 6 and 9

The one at 12 pulls cos(40)*190N in horizontal (x) but so does the one in 6 but in opposite direction so the forces cancel. The same goes for the ones at 9 and 3. However there is no fireman under the net pulling in the vertical direction. So the vertical part of the force (for every fireman) sin(40)*190N does not cancel. Meaning the total force is the sum of these.

I hope this helps.

How, exactly, do we know that there is no fireman under the net pulling in the vertical direction? Isn't the vertical pull sin(40)*190N also?

basenne said:
How, exactly, do we know that there is no fireman under the net pulling in the vertical direction? Isn't the vertical pull sin(40)*190N also?

Yes the vertical pull is sin(40)*190N the horizontal is cos(40)*190N.

Because they say: Four firefighters hold a square net, one at each corner.

I don't think i can explain this any better in written text. Just try to imagine, draw a picture, make a force diagram or something of what's going on.

Oh! I get it! Thanks a lot!

1. What are simple forces?

Simple forces are fundamental interactions between two objects that are characterized by a magnitude and direction. They can be classified as either contact forces, such as pushing or pulling, or non-contact forces, such as gravity or magnetic forces.

2. What is the difference between a balanced and unbalanced force?

A balanced force is one in which the net force acting on an object is equal to zero, meaning the object will remain at rest or continue moving at a constant velocity. An unbalanced force, on the other hand, results in a change in an object's motion, either by causing it to start moving, stop moving, or change direction.

3. How do you calculate the net force on an object?

The net force on an object is calculated by adding together all the individual forces acting on the object. If the forces are acting in the same direction, they are added together. If they are acting in opposite directions, the force with the larger magnitude is subtracted from the force with the smaller magnitude.

4. What is Newton's First Law of Motion?

Newton's First Law of Motion, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object will remain at rest or in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an outside force. This means that an object will continue its current state of motion unless a force causes it to change.

5. How does friction affect simple forces?

Friction is a force that opposes motion and can affect the magnitude and direction of simple forces. For example, friction between a moving object and a surface will decrease the object's speed and eventually bring it to a stop. Friction can also cause an object to change direction if the force is not acting in the same direction as the object's motion.