1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Very simple gravity question on another planet.

1. Sep 21, 2005 #1
    Alright I am obviously retarded since I am unable to figure this question out.

The question is:

You have just landed on Planet X. You take out a ball of mass m, release it from rest from a height of h and measure that it takes a time of t to reach the ground. You can ignore any force on the ball from the atmosphere of the planet.

My guess as to what the answer would be is: m*((h/t)/t)

since weight equals mass times acceleration and the acceleration equals change in velocity over time. I figured it starts at 0 and ends at h, so the change in velocity is h/t. Where am i going wrong with this?

The error or hint I am recieving is "Your answer is off by a multiplicative factor."

Anyone have any ideas? I have to answer this problem within the next 2 hours and I still cant figure it out. I would try changing my original answer above a bit, but if I guess anymore I get zero credit for the problem.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2005 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

h/t is the average velocity during the fall, not the change in velocity. Since it starts with speed = 0, what must be the final speed after falling the distance h?

4. Sep 21, 2005 #3
    got it... (2*h*m)/t^2

Last edited: Sep 21, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?