1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Very simple lim

1. Oct 26, 2013 #1
    find the limit as n goes to infinity by using the sandwich theorem

## (3^n + 5^n + 7^n )^{\frac{1}{n}}##

I notice the limit is 7 by using a different method (not the sandwich theorem)

using the sandwich theorem I see that

## 7^n \leq 3^n + 5^n + 7^n ## but I can't seem to find a good upper bound. I can see that ## 2.7^n ## works but I can't explain why ## 7^n \leq 3^n + 5^n + 7^n \leq 2.7^n ##

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2013 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Try using ##7^n\le 3^n + 5^n + 7^n \le 7^n+7^n+7^n##.

4. Oct 26, 2013 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I haven't worked the problem, but maybe this will help.
    ##3 \cdot 3^n \leq 3^n + 5^n + 7^n \leq 3 \cdot 7^n##

##\Rightarrow \lim_{n \to \infty} (3 \cdot 3^n)^{1/n} \leq \lim_{n \to \infty}(3^n + 5^n + 7^n)^{1/n} \leq \lim_{n \to \infty} (3 \cdot 7^n)^{1/n}##

5. Oct 26, 2013 #4
    so simple, thanks

I have another limits question (I've done the problem but would like someone to check it over as I'm new to limits). Should I start a new thread, or post it here? And is there a maximum amount of threads allowed per day?

6. Oct 26, 2013 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Please start a new thread...

I'm not aware of any limit on the number of threads posted per day, but if you were to spam us with a very large number of them, that is probably a different story.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted