Calc Quiz: Does a Limit Exist as x Approaches 1?

• Thread starter Joshrk22
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary: The book is right.In summary, the conversation revolved around limits in a Calculus class, specifically the limit \lim_{x\rightarrow 1}\frac{1}{(x-1)^2} and whether it exists or not. The first person believed it did not exist, but their teacher claimed it did. Upon further discussion, it was determined that the limit does exist as it approaches positive infinity. The conversation also touched on another limit, \lim_{x\rightarrow 1}\frac{\sqrt{x-3}-2}{(x-1)}, which was incorrectly written and does not exist. The correct limit was \lim_{x\rightarrow 1}\frac{\sqrt{x+3}-2}{(x-
Joshrk22
Yesterday, I took a quiz in my Calc class. My teacher threw some limits on there which I believed were easy. One of them was...

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 1}\frac{1}{(x-1)^2}[/tex]

For this one I put "Limit does not exist as x approaches 1." I come in today and she tells the class that a limit does exist. I didn't want to argue with her but I trusted my gut feeling and believed we (the class) were right. I come home and check my other Calc book and in there it says that a limit does not exist. So what is it? Is she right, or is my class wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
It does not exist in the sense that it does not approach any single number, sometimes people will write in cases like this where both the right, and left hand limits increase without bound that the limit is positive infinity.

Seems right to me. Maybe your teacher was mistaken about which problem she was talking about.

Thanks guys! I'm going to show her the book tomorrow. Also what about this one?

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 1}\frac{\sqrt{x-3}-2}{(x-1)}[/tex]

I plugged it into my calculator and it doesn't exist either. Yet again, she said that it does...

That's even worse as the square root of -2 is not even a real number, so if we are dealing with only real numbers that function isn't even defined in a neighbourhood about -1.

Yep, and she tried to tell us that none of them were "Does Not Exist..." Hah!

Joshrk22 said:
Thanks guys! I'm going to show her the book tomorrow. Also what about this one?

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 1}\frac{\sqrt{x-3}-2}{(x-1)}[/tex]

I plugged it into my calculator and it doesn't exist either. Yet again, she said that it does...

Are you sure it isn't [tex]\sqrt{x+3}[/tex]?

Because then you can apply l'hopital's rule and it'll exist. Otherwise I dunno.

It sounds to me like she is testing you on material she hasn't yet taught you. A "well the book says" argument might work.

Joshrk22 said:
Yesterday, I took a quiz in my Calc class. My teacher threw some limits on there which I believed were easy. One of them was...

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 1}\frac{1}{(x-1)^2}[/tex]

It diverges to infinity. Or converges at infinity. Take your pick.

This one,

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 1}\frac{1}{(x-1)^2}[/tex] ,

is an example of an infinite limit. Because the denominator is always positive (except at x = 1), the one-sided limits from either side of x = 1 go to the same signed infinity, so the limit is taken to be positive infinity. (There is a formal definition for infinite limits which can be used to prove this.)

Were the limit

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 1}\frac{1}{(x-1)}[/tex] or

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 1}\frac{1}{(x-1)^3}[/tex] ,

then the sign of the denominator would depend on which side x were approaching 1 from:
the limit "from below" would be negative infinity and the limit "from above" would be positive infinity. In these cases, because the one-sided limits don't agree, the two-sided limit for either of these examples indeed does not exist.

The other limit is almost certainly intended to be

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 1}\frac{\sqrt{x+3}-2}{(x-1)}[/tex] .

Since x = 1 is not in the domain of the function for the expression you posted, you would be correct that the limit doesn't exist (because f(x) is undefined for x <= 3). For this corrected limit, L'Hopital's Rule will surely work, but it's awfully high-powered and actually involves more writing than the simpler method of "conjugate factors".

Multiply numerator and denominator by [tex]\sqrt{x+3}+2[/tex]. The numerator now contains the factors of a difference of two squares, which multiply out to leave (x + 3) - 4 = x - 1 . This factor now cancels top and bottom, leaving

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 1}\frac{1}{\sqrt{x+3}+2}[/tex] ,

which equals 1/4 . (It seems to me this must be what your instructor meant...)

1. What is the definition of a limit?

A limit is a fundamental concept in calculus that describes the behavior of a function as the input value approaches a certain point. It can be thought of as the value that a function "approaches" or gets closer to as the input value gets closer to the specified point.

2. How do you determine if a limit exists?

A limit exists if the values of the function approach a single, finite value as the input value gets closer to the specified point. This can be determined by evaluating the function at values very close to the specified point and seeing if they approach a specific value.

3. What is the significance of x approaching a specific value, such as 1, in a limit?

In a limit, the behavior of a function is being studied as the input value gets closer and closer to a specific point. This allows us to understand how the function behaves near that point and can be used to find important properties of the function, such as continuity and differentiability.

4. What are the different types of limits?

There are several types of limits, including one-sided limits, where the input value approaches the specified point from only one side, and two-sided limits, where the input value approaches the specified point from both sides. There are also infinite limits, where the values of the function approach infinity or negative infinity as the input value gets closer to the specified point.

5. What is the importance of understanding limits in calculus?

Limits are a crucial concept in calculus as they allow us to understand the behavior of functions near specific points. They are used to define important concepts such as continuity, differentiability, and the derivative, and are essential in solving problems involving rates of change and optimization.