Very simple - mass on a spring

In summary, the elastic constant of a spring holding an object in equilibrium is 600 N/m. Using Hooke's law, the extension of the spring with respect to its initial length can be found by setting the spring force equal to the gravitational force on the object. Solving for ΔL, the extension is found to be 0.00784 m, which is the equilibrium position. The given solution of 0.0125 m seems to be incorrect.
student333

Homework Statement

The elastic constant of a spring holding an object in equilibrium is 600 N/m. Find the extension of the spring with respect to its initial length if the object has a mass of 480 g.

Homework Equations

hooke's law: F = -ky

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the answer is supposed to be 0.0125m, but I'm not sure as to how to arrive at this solution. I'm also a bit unclear as to how everything fits together (for instance, does initial length refer to the equilibrium position?), as I'm new to this concept. Could anyone please give a simple, straight-forward walk-through? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The spring is vertical and the object hangs on it. The spring holds the object and prevents it from falling down. So what force exerts the spring on the object of mass m?

ehild

Does the spring exert a force of -ky on the mass? At equilibrium shouldn't this be equal to mg? How does this relate to the answer to the problem? If I set them equal and solve for y, I don't get the proper answer, so it seems that I'm missing something.

The magnitude of the spring force is kΔL and it acts upward. ΔL is the extension of the spring. Gravity is a downward force, mg. The forces have to cancel: mg=kΔL. What result did you get?

ehild

ΔL = (mg)/k = (0.48*9.8)/600 = 0.00784 m

but this doesn't match up with the given solution of 0.0125 m :confused:

Is 0.00784 the equilibrium position, and I am supposed to find the max distance past that point, perhaps? The question seems a bit vague to me, so I don't have a good grasp on what exactly I am looking for and how the equilibrium position fits in.

I think your answer is correct and the given solution is wrong. I can not understand the problem in a different way: The spring holds the object in equilibrium, given the force constant and the mass of the object.
It happens quite often that wrong solutions are given. Do not worry about it.

ehild

What is a mass on a spring?

A mass on a spring is a simple physics model used to study the behavior of a mass attached to a spring that is undergoing simple harmonic motion.

What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium and always acts towards the equilibrium point.

What factors affect the motion of a mass on a spring?

The motion of a mass on a spring is affected by the mass of the object, the spring constant (stiffness) of the spring, and the amplitude (maximum displacement) of the motion.

How is the frequency of a mass on a spring calculated?

The frequency of a mass on a spring is calculated using the equation f = 1/2π √(k/m), where f is the frequency in Hertz, k is the spring constant in Newtons per meter, and m is the mass in kilograms.

What real-life applications can a mass on a spring model be used for?

A mass on a spring model can be used to study and understand the behavior of various systems in physics and engineering, such as pendulums, vibrating systems, and musical instruments.