Solving a Simple Math Equation for the Smallest Perimeter of a Rectangle

• Thread starter JayDub
  • Start date
In summary, the smallest perimeter of a rectangle with an area of 64 cm^2 can be found by graphing x(64/x) and finding the minimum value, which would be 2(x) + 2(64 / x). Similarly, for a rectangle with a perimeter of 100 cm, the largest area can be found by graphing x(50-x) and finding the maximum value. This is because in both cases, we are trying to either minimize or maximize the given value.
JayDub
I am trying to remember how I would go about solving an equation like so.

What is the smallest perimiter of a rectangle with area of 64 cm^2.

I know I can use the graphing calculator.

So I know there are two sides, x and 64 / x.

If I try and graph x(64/x) I just get a straight line at 64. So how does one go about solving a question like this?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
If I try and graph x(64/x) I just get a straight line at 64.
Which is good -- you're graphing the area of your rectangle. It had better be a constant value!

Lol, I understand why it is giving me that (because the x's cancel) which I am sure you know.

If I had the inverse of this question, something like. The perimiter of a rectangle is 100 cm. What is the largest area it can have?

I would go

Side 1: x
Side 2: 50 - x

Graphing: x(50-x) thus at the maximum, x = 25.
Therby making the other side 25 as well, for a maximum area of 625 cm.

Well if you're trying to minimize perimeter in your original problem, what should you be graphing?

When looking for the rectangle with the largest area, why do you do those steps?

wait a minute... If

Side 1: x
Side 2: 64 / x

To find the smallest area couldn't I graph 2(x) + 2(64 / x) and find the smallest perimiter?

Thus graphing, gives me an x value of 8 and a perimiter of 32.

That sounds good.

What is "Very simple math question"?

"Very simple math question" is a generic term used to describe a math problem that is easy to understand and solve.

Why is it called "Very simple math question"?

The term "very simple" is used to indicate that the problem is not complex and can be solved without much effort or advanced mathematical knowledge.

What types of math problems are considered "Very simple math question"?

Any problem that involves basic arithmetic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division can be considered a "very simple math question". Examples include calculating the area of a square or finding the sum of two numbers.

Why are "Very simple math question" problems important?

These types of problems are important because they help build a strong foundation in basic math skills, which are necessary for more advanced mathematical concepts. They also help with critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

Where can I find more "Very simple math question" problems to practice?

There are many resources available online, such as math websites and educational apps, that offer a variety of "very simple math question" problems for practice. You can also create your own problems using everyday situations or objects.