1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Very simple ODE

1. Nov 26, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [itex]y'=1-y^2[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

I've tried a few methods, including change of variables, separability. I'm pretty sure it's separable.

3. The attempt at a solution

If I use separation of variables, I end up with

[itex]\frac{\text{dy}}{1-y^2}=\text{dx}[/itex]

This integral evades me. There must be another trick that I am missing.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2013 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

Partial fraction decomposition

4. Nov 26, 2013 #3
    It appears that the integral of [itex]\frac{\text{dy}}{1-y^2}[/itex] is [itex]\tanh ^{-1}(y)[/itex].

This would make the solution [itex]y=\frac{e^{2 c_1}+e^{2 x}}{e^{2 x}-e^{2 c_1}}[/itex]

5. Nov 26, 2013 #4
    That's a good idea! I tried partial fraction decomposition, and I ended up with

[itex]0.5 (c+\log (1-y)+\log (y+1))=c+x[/itex]
    [itex]\log (c (1-y) (y+1))=2 c+2 x[/itex]
    [itex]c (1-y) (y+1)=e^{2 c+2 x}[/itex]
    From here, it looks like it gets into a hairy quadratic formula with solutions of the form
    [itex]y=\pm \sqrt{-e^{2 c+2 x}-1}[/itex]

If I just recognized the solution was a form of hyberbolic inverse tangent, it would have been much easier, though, I do not see how I would have seen that without guessing. I did not have that in my memory.

6. Nov 26, 2013 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You don't need to put a constant of integration both sides (and certainly not the same one!).
    You have a sign error in the integration. You should end up with a ratio of the y terms, not the product.

7. Nov 26, 2013 #6
    I do not see where the mixup is. If I expand the term into partial fractions, I end up with...
    [itex]\frac{1}{1-y^2}\to \frac{1}{(1-y) (y+1)}\to \frac{A}{y+1}+\frac{B}{1-y}\to \frac{A (1-y)+B
    (y+1)}{(1-y) (y+1)}\to A+B=1, B-A=0\to A=B=0.5[/itex]

If that's the case for A and B, then I simply move on to... Aaaaand I see what I did. Integrating the [itex]\frac{0.5}{y+1}+\frac{0.5}{1-y}[/itex] results in a difference instead of a sum. However, I am even more baffled as to how to isolate y algebraically in this case, since I end up with...

[itex]e^{2 c+2 x}=\frac{y+1}{1-y}[/itex]

8. Nov 26, 2013 #7

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It's quite easy - you're probably overthinking it
    Multiply out and collect up the y terms.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted