Tune Radio to 5.30 MHz with 1.04 µH Inductance

• Thread starter nemzy
  • Start date
In summary, the capacitance tunes the circuit to the signal from a station broadcasting at 5.30 MHz. The capacitance is 1.04 µH and the inductance is 1 µH.
nemzy
A fixed inductance of 1.04 µH is used in series with a variable capacitor in the tuning section of a radio. What capacitance tunes the circuit to the signal from a station broadcasting at 5.30 MHz?

Hmm, i have no idea how i can relate capacitance with frequency and with indunctance? is there a formula that i am overlooking? I can't find it anywhere in my book

Physics news on Phys.org
For a capacitor and inductance the relation between current and voltage are:

[tex]I=C\frac{dV}{dt}[/tex]
[tex]V=L\frac{dI}{dt}[/tex]

Now if you a apply an ac signal the impedance will depend on frequency. E.g with a sinosoidal signal with frequency [tex]\omega[/tex]: [itex]I=I_0 e^{j \omega t}[/itex] (do you know this complex notation?) differenting and integrating yield for the impedances:

[tex]Z_C=\frac{1}{j \omega C}[/tex]
[tex]Z_L=j\omega L[/tex]

nemzy said:
A fixed inductance of 1.04 µH is used in series with a variable capacitor in the tuning section of a radio. What capacitance tunes the circuit to the signal from a station broadcasting at 5.30 MHz?

Hmm, i have no idea how i can relate capacitance with frequency and with indunctance? is there a formula that i am overlooking? I can't find it anywhere in my book

Da Willem gave you two vital formulas for the reactances of the (pure) capacitance and (pure) inductance. Use those, in complex form to find an expression for the total impedance of a series combination of them.

Now, using that expression for the total impedance, can you find the value of [itex]\omega[/itex] for which the impedance is a minimum ? What is the value of that minimum impedance ? What frequency does this occur at ([itex]\omega = 2\pi f[/itex]) ? What state is said to exist at this frequency (hint : r_s_n___e) ?

EDIT : Sorry, upon closer reading of the question, the required r_s_n__t frequency is given, they want you to find the value of C that causes that state at that given frequency. Still, work through the algebra above as I prescribed, it'll greatly aid understanding and it'll be satisfying to get it from first principles.

Last edited:
w=1/(LC)^1/2
TOO lazy to use latex

poolwin2001 said:
w=1/(LC)^1/2
TOO lazy to use latex

We try not to give away the answers until the poster has demonstrated serious effort in trying it out himself. I could've easily typed that out and been done with it. :uhh:

1. How does the inductance of 1.04 µH affect the frequency of 5.30 MHz?

The inductance of 1.04 µH is directly related to the frequency of 5.30 MHz through the equation:
f = 1 / (2π√LC)
Where f is the frequency in Hertz, L is the inductance in Henrys, and C is the capacitance in Farads. As the inductance increases, the frequency decreases and vice versa. Therefore, the 1.04 µH inductance will help to tune the radio to 5.30 MHz by adjusting the frequency in the circuit.

2. Can the inductance be adjusted to tune the radio to a different frequency?

Yes, the inductance can be adjusted to tune the radio to a different frequency by using the same equation mentioned above. By changing the value of the inductance, the frequency can be adjusted to a desired value. This is one of the ways in which radios are tuned to different frequencies.

3. What is the significance of 5.30 MHz in radio tuning?

5.30 MHz is a specific frequency in the radio frequency spectrum that is used for various purposes, such as AM radio broadcasting, maritime communication, and amateur radio. It falls under the high frequency (HF) range, which is typically used for long-distance communication. The 5.30 MHz frequency is also known as channel 268 in the international marine VHF band.

4. How does changing the inductance affect the performance of the radio?

Changing the inductance affects the performance of the radio by adjusting the frequency of the circuit. As the frequency changes, it can potentially improve or worsen the reception of signals. Additionally, changing the inductance can also affect the selectivity of the radio, which is its ability to isolate and tune in to a specific frequency while rejecting others.

5. Is 1.04 µH a standard value for radio tuning?

No, 1.04 µH is not a standard value for radio tuning as it depends on the specific circuit and design of the radio. The inductance value can vary depending on the required frequency and the components used in the circuit. Other factors such as interference and noise can also influence the appropriate inductance value for optimal radio tuning.