Is My Calculation of Tire Fault Probability Correct or Is My Teacher Right?

• Thread starter Firefight
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Teacher
In summary: The formula you give: (.02^3 * .98) * 4 = 0.003136% is the probability that 3 out of 4 tires are faulty. This is correct if you are asking "What is the probability that exactly 3 out of 4 tires are faulty?"The teacher's formula: (.02^3 * .98) = 0.000784% is the probability that 3 out of 3 tires are faulty. This is correct if you are asking "What is the probability that exactly 3 out of 3 tires are faulty?"In summary, there was a disagreement between the student and teacher about calculating the probability of 3 out of 4 brand X tires being faulty
Firefight
I'll explain the problem in a nutshell.

2% of brand X tires are faulty, 98% aren't.

If you take a car with 4 brand X tires, what is the probability that 3 of them are faulty?

My work: (.02^3 * .98) * 4 = 0.003136%

However, my teacher thought it was just: (.02^3 * .98) = 0.000784%

I believe my teacher left out the combinations that the 3 tires could be in in 4 spaces. ( 4 combinations ) XXXO, XXOX, XOXX, OXXX.

Leaving this out is correct only if it specified which space the 3 faulty ones had to be in, no?

I mentioned this in class and got shot down by the teacher leaving me somewhat frustrated. Can someone else just confirm this? It would mean a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
your solution to the way you formulated the problem is correct.

I think you are right as well but you should probably ask your teacher if they meant for a specific configuration or whether they allow any of the four.

Even if it is a specific configuration, the teacher still should have mentioned that when writing the question, if the question is as you have posted it to be.

Is your teacher Jackson Guo?

Could there have been a miscommunication or misunderstanding of the problem? If not, then your answer (and Dickfore's) is correct. The teacher's answer is the probability that 3 out of 3 randomly-selected tires are faulty.

I'm assuming the failure probability for each tire is independent of the failure probability for any other tire. The general formula for problems of this type is given by the binomial distribution. That's almost certainly what would be intended by a textbook problem.

Real tire failures might be correlated - for example, suppose tires with serial numbers 1000-2000 are a "bad batch" which were poorly made and are especially likely to fail. If you bought all 4 tires at the same time, they might all in the bad batch. Non-independence matters a lot in real-life engineering - but in this context, it's probably an irrelevant technicality.

1. Why do you believe your teacher is wrong?

As a scientist, I always question and critically analyze information, including what my teacher presents in class. If I come across something that doesn't align with my understanding or research, I will seek clarification and evidence to support my belief.

2. Can you provide evidence to support your belief?

Yes, as a scientist, evidence is crucial in supporting any belief or claim. I would gather data, conduct experiments, and analyze results to support my belief and present it to my teacher for further discussion.

3. What if your teacher's explanation is based on scientific evidence?

If my teacher's explanation is based on scientific evidence, I would carefully examine the evidence and compare it to my understanding. If there is a conflicting interpretation, I would respectfully discuss it with my teacher and seek further clarification.

4. How can you prove that your teacher is wrong?

It is not my intention to prove my teacher wrong. As a scientist, I am open to different perspectives and am always willing to learn and revise my understanding if presented with compelling evidence. My goal is to seek the truth and improve my understanding of the subject.

5. Is it appropriate to question your teacher's knowledge?

As a scientist, questioning and challenging knowledge is an essential part of the scientific method. It is crucial to have a critical mindset and not blindly accept information. However, it is essential to do so respectfully and in a constructive manner.