1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Very simple question even shame to ask

1. Jun 3, 2009 #1
    Hi,
    I put my question in the attached file... could you please look at it...
    it is very simple quiestion...

thank you :shy:

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2009 #2

chiro

Science Advisor

I haven't used the einstein summation notation or done tensor math but I think I know where you're going with this one.

I'll refer to the multivariate case of differentiation from here on in as it looks like you're trying to accomplish something similar.

The partial derivatives you calculated seem correct so I'm not quite sure what you want to do with it. The question I think is not specific enough but I probably don't understand why your are doing what you're trying to do.

Expand the whole thing out without use of tensor notation and give us a reason behind the problem and I'll probably have a chance of helping you.

4. Jun 4, 2009 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You are asking whether you should differentiate [itex]A_\nu[/itex] or [itex]A_\alpha[/itex] aren't you? You should differentiate both. This is a product (more correctly, a sum of products) so use the product rule.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook