1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Very Simple Question Help Please

1. Sep 4, 2008 #1
    I know this question must be the easiest thing ever but I can not manage to pick the right choices.I feel really stupid. This is the only question I have left and the homework is due tonight at midnight.
    http://i38.tinypic.com/301d0uf.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2008 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

What are the units of each of the quantities?

Is one different?

4. Sep 4, 2008 #3
    Three of them are length units and and 2 of them are mass units. I've picked the three that are length and the two that are mass units and did not answer correctly. Then I eliminated all which were not from the base SI Units and it wasn't the right answer either.

5. Sep 4, 2008 #4

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Now look put the data into a uniform format. Put the mass and length in the same units appropriate each.

Now look at the results. Remember more than 1 can be in error.

6. Sep 4, 2008 #5
    0.0001 kg
    0.0002 meters
    0.21 kg
    0.004 m
    0.0005 meters
    I would suspect the 0.21 kg and 0.004 m to be incorrect but that's not the right answer. I am not sure if I should look at the rules for uncertainties to answer this question correctly.

7. Sep 4, 2008 #6

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Wait. Those aren't the numbers

8. Sep 4, 2008 #7
    Yeah, somewhat. It's the first homework of the first chapter.

9. Sep 5, 2008 #8

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

.0132 kg
    .02365 m
    5.1 kg
    .023 m
    .034 m

Th kg numbers look quite different.
    The meter numbers look about in the same range.

However on the basis of significant digits the 5.1 +/- .21 number and the 23.65 +/- .2 has greater error than precision measured. The last number 3.4 +/- .05 looks suspicious because the measurement is less precision than the recorded.

10. Sep 5, 2008 #9
    Ahh!! I didn't get the answer before the deadline. Thanks anyway. I'm going to stop by the teacher's office this weekend.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?