Very Simple Question, : Integral of a derivative squared

In summary, the conversation discusses the integration of \int(\frac{dx}{dt})^{2}dt. The participants mention different methods such as partial integration and integration by parts, but it is concluded that there is no simple answer as the function does not have an elementary anti-derivative.
gilgtc
Hello,

I am trying to figure out how to integrate this, I know it must be simple but I am not sure how to do it.

[tex]\int(\frac{dx}{dt})^{2}dt[/tex]

Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think partial integration can work.

You just need x defined in terms of t

x = x(t)

then you can differentiate with respect to t,

then you square dx/dt

then you integrate that across t from t1 to t2

right?

Last edited:
Wait a second is x(t) explicitly known?

hi, thanks for your answers. x(t) is not known that is why I am not sure how to do it. Otherwise what Nick mentioned would be easily applicable.

Any other ideas? What do you mean by partial integration dirk_mec1?

Thanks!

He means "integration by parts". Do you have any reason to think that there is any simple answer to this question? I can see no reason to assume that
[tex]\right(\frac{dx}{dt}\)^2[/tex]
even has an elementary anti-derivative.

I don't think you can just integrate [tex] \int (f'(x))^2 \mbox{d}x[/tex], right? The integration by parts(thanks hallsofIvy ) however gives:

[tex] x (x'(t))^2 - \int x \cdot 2x' \cdot x''\ \mbox{d}t [/tex]

Last edited:
re

I thought that there was an easy equivalence like:

[tex]\int(dx/dt)dt = x[/tex]

I guess not! thanks for your help in any case.

1. What is the purpose of finding the integral of a derivative squared?

The integral of a derivative squared is used to calculate the area under a curve that is described by the derivative squared. It is also used in physics and engineering to determine the work done by a variable force.

2. How do you solve for the integral of a derivative squared?

To find the integral of a derivative squared, you can use integration by parts or substitution. You can also use the power rule for integration if the derivative is a simple polynomial.

3. Can the integral of a derivative squared be negative?

Yes, the integral of a derivative squared can be negative. This can occur if the function represented by the derivative squared has a negative area under the curve.

4. What is the relationship between the integral of a derivative squared and the original function?

The integral of a derivative squared is the inverse operation of taking a derivative. This means that the integral of a derivative squared will give you the original function, up to a constant term.

5. Can the integral of a derivative squared be used to find the maximum or minimum of a function?

No, the integral of a derivative squared cannot directly be used to find the maximum or minimum of a function. However, it can be used to determine critical points, which can then be used to find the maximum or minimum of a function.