Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Very simple question with NOUN

1. Apr 18, 2006 #1
    Noun is a word indicatng properies, things.

In you lovely native language, please show me how you think about these:

Is there anyone who won't think "a book" is a noun ?? :blushing:
    How about the verb "to leave" ? Anyone thinks it is not a verb ?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2006 #2

Gold Member

"Book" can also be used as a verb. "Leave" can also be used as a noun.

Is that your question?

I guess the concise answer is that it depends on the context.
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2006
  4. Apr 19, 2006 #3

I oly want to know how many people think "a book" is not a noun. I am not asking about word usage
  5. Apr 19, 2006 #4

Gold Member

As dav2008 has pointed out, the same word can be used in different ways to mean different things, so to know how a word is being used, English speakers look at its relationships wth other words in the sentence.

You can make sentence frames with blank spaces that can only be filled by a word from a certain word class, or category. If you put a word in the blank in "A _____ ...", then that word will usually be interpreted as a noun. The frame "... to _____ ..." doesn't work as well because "to", in addition to being used as the infinitival particle, can also be used as a normal preposition, as in "I went to a movie", where it is followed by a noun (or determiner) phrase instead of being followed by an infinitive. A better verb frame is "I _____." where only a single word is allowed to fill the blank. If you don't mind getting a little bit more complicated, we can make better frames.
  6. Apr 19, 2006 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I can "book" a flight and take "leave" of you on it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?