1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Very simple tension problem

1. May 6, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two masses are suspended by a frictionless string on a frictionless pulley, one with mass 75 kg and the other 100 kg.
    What is the tension of the string and the acceleration of the masses

3. The attempt at a solution
    My attempt was to say since mass A, 75 kg, was 75 percent of mass B, then the acceleration of mass B would be 25 percent of the acceleration of gravity 9.8 m/s^2.
    so it would be roughly 2.5 m/s^2. Since the acceleration was 2.5 m/s^2, I thought the tension would be equivelant to the force of the mass of both A and B times the acceleration 2.5 m/s^2 ie. F=ma. Clearly there is something wrong with this approach. What is it that I'm missing? is there a generalized formula for tension of a string?

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi physicsnewb7! :smile:

Call the tension T, and then apply good ol' Newton's second law twice (to each mass separately) …

since the acceleration, a, of each mass is the same (in opposite directions), you can solve for T and a :wink:

4. May 6, 2009 #3
    so if a I say a100kg=100g-T and a75=T-75g, where a is the acceleration, g is gravitational acceleration and T is tension, then add the two equations together to get a=25/175g=1/7g and then solve for T by plugging a in the equations. Is that right? would the acceleration be 1/7g? any help would be greatly appreciated!

5. May 6, 2009 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi physicsnewb7! :smile:

Yes, that's right! :approve:

Another way of doing it is to imagine that the string is straight …

there's 100g of force pulling it left, and 75g pulling it right, making a total of 25g … since the total mass is 175, that makes a = 175g/25 = g/7. :wink:

(or, if you're not interested in the tension, you could even use conservation of energy and a = dv/dt = v dv/dh = 1/2 d(v2)/dh)

6. May 6, 2009 #5
    Thank you so much TinyTim for responding and helping.:smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook