1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Very simple thermochemistry question

1. Dec 5, 2006 #1
    I know this is a physics forum, but this problem is mainly physics, and exceedingly simple:

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A certain reaction releases about 90 kJ of heat when stoichiometric amounts of reactants react. If the reaction goes to completion in 100 g of water whose initial temperature is 20 deg C, what is the final temperature of the water?

2. Relevant equations

q = mc(delta T), I believe, so delta T = q / (mc)

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but if I plug the 400 kJ = 400000 J into q and the 100 g mass into m and 4.184 J / (mol deg C) into c, I get an insane change in temperature around 215 degrees. I am obviously forgetting some step or misunderstanding something... I've always had trouble with thermodynamics stuff like this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.. thank you!
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Firstly should q not be 90kJ. Secondly the units of c that you provide are J/(g K). Other than that your calculations seem fine.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?