How can four zeros and mathematical operations/symbols equal 24?

• Thread starter Andy
  • Start date
In summary, using only four zeros and the factorial operation, (0! + 0! + 0! + 0!)! can be simplified to 24. The factorial of 4 is equal to 24, and by definition, the factorial of 0 is equal to 1. This can also be thought of as a recursive function, where n! = (n-1)! * n. It is not possible to calculate factorial for negative or non-integer numbers, though there is a way to define it for complex numbers.
Andy
Using “Only Four” ZEROS (0) and any Mathematical Operations/Symbols, to obtain the number 24.

So can someone explain to me how, (0! + 0! + 0! + 0!)! = 24

Im sure this is simple to most of you but i am very slow when it comes to maths.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I still don't get it. Can someone explain?

4! = 4 x 3 x 2 x 1 = 24

0! = 0 x -1 x -2 x -3 ~ = 1

huh? :)

no 0! = 1 (by definition)
you can think of it like this:
n! = (n-1)!*n
so:
3! = 2!*3
2! = 1!*2
1! = 0!*1 => 0! = 1

also there is no factorial for negative or not-integer numbers (at least I think...)

thanks guybrush, that cleared things up.

Thank you.

1. Why do some people struggle with math?

There can be a variety of reasons why someone may find math difficult. Some common reasons include a lack of foundational understanding, a negative attitude towards math, or a learning disability.

2. How can I improve my math skills?

Practice and persistence are key to improving math skills. It is important to identify any gaps in understanding and work on building a strong foundation. Seeking help from a teacher or tutor, and using resources such as textbooks and online practice problems can also be beneficial.

3. Is being slow with math a sign of low intelligence?

No, being slow with math does not indicate low intelligence. People have different strengths and weaknesses, and while some may excel in math, others may excel in other subjects.

4. Can anxiety affect math performance?

Yes, anxiety can greatly impact math performance. It can cause individuals to second-guess themselves, have difficulty focusing, and may even result in a mental block. Finding ways to manage and cope with anxiety can help improve math performance.

5. Are there any strategies to help with slow math skills?

Yes, there are various strategies that can be helpful for those who struggle with math. These include breaking problems down into smaller, more manageable parts, using visual aids or manipulatives, and finding real-life connections to make the material more relatable.