Does Particle Motion at Very Small Velocities Make Sense?

• Thread starter MHD93
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, the question asked if a particle with a very small velocity (around 10^-40 m/s) really moves, to which the answer is yes. However, due to the uncertainty principle, it is difficult to accurately determine the particle's position. The same principle can be applied to larger objects, such as the Earth, where even small accelerations can cause movement.
MHD93
Hello everybody..

If a particle has a very small velocity.. (about 10 ^ -40 m/s) .. does it really move ?
or my question makes no sense?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Mohammad_93 said:
Hello everybody..

If a particle has a very small velocity.. (about 10 ^ -40 m/s) .. does it really move ?

When you know the velocity to that accuracy, it might be hard to tell where the particle is, especially for a lightweight particle.

Consider a proton, for example. Mass is 1.67*10-27 kg. The momentum "p" is... tiny.

By Heisenburg's uncertainity principle, the location of the particle is only defined to within
[tex]\Delta x \geq \hbar/2/\Delta p = 3.15 \times 10^{35} \; m[/tex]​
That size is many times larger than the observable universe.

Or how about me. I'm around 75 kg. If I was at rest to that accuracy, my location could only be defined to within 7km or more. Of course, it makes no sense to have a large composite object like me with motions defined to that accuracy.

In other words particles don't really have a velocity defined sufficiently strongly to make any difference between being at rest and having such a small velocity, by the uncertainty principle.

Cheers -- sylas

Last edited:
Mohammad_93 said:
Hello everybody..

thanks

A localized wave packet can be prepared at x=0 at t=0. If it is later measured to be at x=1m at t=10^40s, then it makes sense to say that its average velocity has been 10^-40m/s during that period. And it has obviously moved. The average velocity of a particle during a finite time period can be found to be any number.

On the other hand, if your particle is in a momentum eigenstate corresponding this velocity around the number you mention (with p=mv), then it is completely delocalized. But that doesn't mean that is doesn't move, In that case the particle is a wave that moves. It just happens to have a non-zero amplitude all over the universe.

Torquil

Mohammad_93 said:
Hello everybody..

thanks

Sorry, I forgot that this is the classical physics section. In that case I could have just said: yes it moves, since v is not equal to zero :-)

Torquil

sylas said:
When you know the velocity to that accuracy, it might be hard to tell where the particle is, especially for a lightweight particle.

Consider a proton, for example. Mass is 1.67*10-27 kg. The momentum "p" is... tiny.

By Heisenburg's uncertainity principle, the location of the particle is only defined to within
[tex]\Delta x \geq \hbar/2/\Delta p = 3.15 \times 10^{35} \; m[/tex]​
That size is many times larger than the observable universe.

Or how about me. I'm around 75 kg. If I was at rest to that accuracy, my location could only be defined to within 7km or more. Of course, it makes no sense to have a large composite object like me with motions defined to that accuracy.

In other words particles don't really have a velocity defined sufficiently strongly to make any difference between being at rest and having such a small velocity, by the uncertainty principle.

Cheers -- sylas

How were you able to use Heisenberg's uncertainty principle for this, when the OP gave a velocity without any +/- uncertainty? I was under the (perhaps wrong) impression that that equation can only be used in regards to uncertainties, and when a velocity is declared without any, that equation cannot be used. What am I missing?

Thanks people..

yes it moves

Ok.. when a crate of 10 kg mass freely falls to the earth, suppose that the only force exerted on the Earth is the weight of this crate, therefore, the Earth's acceleration is
a = F / m
a = 100N / (6 * 10 ^ 24 kg)
a is about 1.66 * 10 ^ -23 m/s^2

now that makes the Earth move.. (with ignoring every particle except the Earth and the crate)
that's right ?

DocZaius said:
How were you able to use Heisenberg's uncertainty principle for this, when the OP gave a velocity without any +/- uncertainty? I was under the (perhaps wrong) impression that that equation can only be used in regards to uncertainties, and when a velocity is declared without any, that equation cannot be used. What am I missing?

The question is whether there's any difference between such a velocity and being at rest. The difference is so small that it is less than the intrinsic uncertainty in velocity for any reasonable level of certainty on position.

Mohammad_93 said:
Ok.. when a crate of 10 kg mass freely falls to the earth, suppose that the only force exerted on the Earth is the weight of this crate, therefore, the Earth's acceleration is
a = F / m
a = 100N / (6 * 10 ^ 24 kg)
a is about 1.66 * 10 ^ -23 m/s^2

now that makes the Earth move.. (with ignoring every particle except the Earth and the crate)
that's right ?

Yes, that's right. How far are you proposing this crate should fall?

Cheers -- sylas

Last edited:

1. What is particle motion at very small velocities?

Particle motion at very small velocities refers to the movement of particles at extremely slow speeds, typically in the nanometer or picometer range. This is often observed in the study of subatomic particles or in the field of nanotechnology.

2. Why is it important to study particle motion at very small velocities?

Studying particle motion at very small velocities allows scientists to understand the behavior and properties of particles at a fundamental level. This can lead to advancements in various fields such as medicine, materials science, and energy production.

3. Does particle motion at very small velocities follow the same laws of physics as larger-scale motion?

Yes, particle motion at very small velocities still follows the laws of physics such as Newton's laws of motion and the principles of thermodynamics. However, at these scales, other factors such as quantum mechanics and Brownian motion may also come into play.

4. Can particles exhibit different types of motion at very small velocities?

Yes, particles at very small velocities can exhibit different types of motion such as random motion, oscillatory motion, and circular motion. This depends on the properties of the particle and the environment it is in.

5. How is particle motion at very small velocities measured?

Particle motion at very small velocities is measured using specialized equipment such as atomic force microscopes, scanning tunneling microscopes, and optical tweezers. These instruments use various techniques such as laser light scattering, ion beams, and magnetic fields to track and analyze the movement of particles at these scales.