1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Very stupid question

1. Jul 17, 2011 #1
    Hello!
    I study mathematics and am in my sixth year, but...
    I have a very elementary question:

I stumbled upon it while learning for quantum mechanics. But it's nothing new, it's happening to me all the time: I get confused by things like this!

Observe the following facts:
    Suppose we deal with the space of wave functions over the real line.
    The wave function [tex]\psi(x)[/tex] is a complex scalar. Take for example [tex]\psi(x)=e^{ikx}[/tex] (not normalizable, don't need it)
    The derivative [tex]\psi'(x)=ike^{ikx}[/tex] has 1/length as it's unit.
    Integrating that over some interval yields a scalar. [tex]\psi(b)-\psi(a)[/tex]
    The probability density [tex]\psi*(x)\psi(x)[/tex] is a scalar.
    Integrating this over the real line (length) gives 1. A scalar...
    Shouldn't such an operation yield a length? Am I stupid?

I am not joking. For me this is a mystery.

Thanks for your answers.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2011 #2
    When you integrate the probability density (scalar) with respect to length, the answer will have the same dimension (scalar x length).

4. Jul 17, 2011 #3

xts

I can't get what you want to calculate and it seems for me that it hardly makes sense, but obvious mistake you did is that [itex]\int_a^b\psi^{*}(x)\psi(x) dx[/itex] is not equal 1, but [itex]b-a[/itex]

5. Jul 17, 2011 #4
    Sorry, I was talking about integrating over the whole (1-dimensional) space here (which has the physical dimension of length). And the total probability (of an physical wave function, not the example I used) should be 1.
    But I see that my example e^ikx is not an example for a real wave function. And an actual wave function (in 1-space) actually has dimension sqrt(length), as for example the Gaussian wave packet:

[tex]\psi(x)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{\sqrt{2\pi}\sigma}}[/tex] with sigma being a length.

So my question was useless and came from wrong presumptions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook