1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

VERY ugly limit problem

1. Feb 17, 2013 #1
    examine the limit of x→∞ of:

(1-tanh(x))/e^(-2x) = (1- (e^x-e^(-x))/(e^x+e^(-x)))/e^(-2x)

Rearranging a bit we get:

e^(2x) - (e^(3x)-e^(x))/(e^x+e^(-x))

Now plotting it in maple it seems to behave very badly, it oscillates up and down. Problem is prooving that there indeed exists no limit.

Intuitively when x gets big the e^(3x)/(e^(x)+e^(-x)) term should approach e^(2x) - but for some reason IT DOES NOT. What is going on with this crazy function and does anyone have ideas how to proove that for a given a i can never find a delta such that lf-al ≤ δ etc etc.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

According to WolframAlpha, the limit exists and it is 2. Are you sure you plotted the right function in maple?

4. Feb 17, 2013 #3
    yes I plotted:

(1-tanh(x))/(e^(-2x)) are u sure U plotted the right one? :) Else maybe I will resort to wolfram alpha. It seems that maple messes up sometimes. For instance it showed this as diverging too:

e^(2x)-e^(3x)/e^x and surely that cant be right?

edit: nvm you got me. I made a silly mistake - stupid me :(

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook