Degree & Classification of Polynomials | Easy Problem

• Thread starter VashtiMaiden
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses determining the degree and classification of polynomials, arranging them in standard form, and using Latex to write exponents in a readable way. The conversation also defines monomials, binomials, trinomials, and polynomials. The process of using superscript tags in Latex is also mentioned.
VashtiMaiden
Very very very easy :)

Determine the "degree of a polynomial" of the following and its Classification (monomial, binomial, trinomial or multinomial)

Degree Classification
1. 5(ab+c) ________ ___________
2. 7(x^2y+yz)+3(z^3+2a^4b) ________ ___________

Arranging a polynomial to standard form.

a^2bc+a^3-a^2b+a^3x

My instructor didn't explain those to us...so please help me. It's just a simple problem...

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I think I don`t understand your question correctly, but if it`s ok so a^2bc+a^3-a^2b+a^3x = a^2(b(c-1)+a(1+x))

First, foil all those expressions out.
Second, what is a monom, a binom, a trinom, ... a polynom...?

A monom is any expression which includes the product of any constant with any power of a variable.

A binom, is an expression which includes the sum/difference between two monoms.etc...

The "degree of a polynomial" is its highest total power: so x3 has degree 3 and so does x2y or xyz.

"Standard form" for a polynomial normally (and you didn't state the definition you are using) is in decreasing power of one of the variables. If we use "a" as that variable, the standard form would be (1+ x)a3+ (bc+ b)a2.

Reading the ^ signs and other stuff makes me woozy. Thank God for Latex.
Hey HallsofIvy, how did you write all the exponents in a nice way that's readable?

Gallileo said:
Reading the ^ signs and other stuff makes me woozy. Thank God for Latex.
Hey HallsofIvy, how did you write all the exponents in a nice way that's readable?

He's using superscript tags. Hit the quote button under his post and you'll see how he did it.

Math Is Hard said:
He's using superscript tags. Hit the quote button under his post and you'll see how he did it.

I'm just testing this, using the Latex Reference for the compose part of the forum.
None of the compose + Latex Reference is working; most of what I put was cut-off.

Last edited:

1. What is a polynomial?

A polynomial is a mathematical expression that consists of variables and coefficients, combined using addition, subtraction, and multiplication. It can also include positive integer exponents.

2. What is the degree of a polynomial?

The degree of a polynomial is the highest exponent of its variable. For example, in the polynomial 3x^2 + 5x + 2, the degree is 2.

3. How do you classify polynomials?

Polynomials can be classified based on their degree and number of terms. The degree can be classified as linear (degree 1), quadratic (degree 2), cubic (degree 3), and so on. The number of terms can be classified as monomial (1 term), binomial (2 terms), trinomial (3 terms), or multinomial (more than 3 terms).

4. What is the difference between a monomial and a polynomial?

A monomial is a single term with a coefficient and a variable, while a polynomial is a sum of monomials. Therefore, every polynomial is a monomial, but not every monomial is a polynomial.

5. How do you solve problems involving the degree and classification of polynomials?

To solve problems involving degree and classification of polynomials, first identify the degree and number of terms of the polynomial. Then, use the appropriate rules and formulas to simplify and solve the expression. It is also helpful to understand the properties of polynomials, such as the distributive property and the power rule.