1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vexing equations of motion problem

1. Dec 11, 2004 #1
    The question:

A 2-kg point mass is welded on the interior of a 2-kg thin ring at point P. The ring has a radius R = 160 mm and rolls on the surface without slipping.

(a) Draw a free body diagram for the ring and point mass. Develop the equations of motion for the system.

(b) Combine the equations of motion derived in (a) into a single (nonlinear) ODE governing θ (t). Assuming a small angle θ (t), develop a linearized equation of motion for the system and calculate the natural frequency and also the free response when θ (0) = 25° and dθ/ dt (0) = 0.

With the origin placed at the center of the ring (axis of rotation), theta is measured from the -y axis in the ccw direction (from south to east if you will)

My approach:
    (a) FBD was drawn.

Forces:
    [tex]\vec N=N\hat J [/tex] Normal force acting up.

[tex]\vec W=-mg\hat J [/tex] weight force acting down from the center of mass.

[tex]\vec F_f=f\hat I [/tex] force of friction acting at the contact point.

Point C is defined as the center of mass

Point O is the origin

Point P is the point on the ring where the point mass is located

Point A is the point where the normal force and frictional forces act.

The point mass is on the ring thus the center of mass of the ring/mass body is at [itex]R/2[/itex]

[tex]\vec r_{C/O}=(\sin\theta\hat I-\cos\theta\hat J)R/2[/tex]

M=total mass=m1+m2

Acceleration of point C was determined thusly
    [tex]\vec a_C=\vec a_O+ \ddot \theta \times \vec r_{C/O}-\dot \theta^2\vec r_{C/O} [/tex]

[tex]\vec a_O=\ddot \theta r \hat I [/tex]

[tex]\ddot \theta \times \vec r_{C/O}=\begin{vmatrix} \hat I & \hat J & \hat K\\ 0 & 0 & -\ddot \theta\\ \sin \theta R/2&-\cos \theta R/2& 0 \end{vmatrix}=-\ddot \theta\cos\theta R/2\hat I+\ddot\theta\sin\theta R/2\hat J [/tex]

[tex]-\dot \theta^2\vec r_{C/O}=-\dot \theta^2\sin\theta R/2\hat I+\dot \theta^2\cos\theta R/2\hat J [/tex]

Summing the forces and moments about C:

I: [tex]f=M(\ddot \theta R -\ddot \theta\cos\theta R/2-\dot \theta^2\sin\theta R/2)[/tex]

J: [tex]N-Mg=M(\ddot\theta\sin\theta R/2+\dot \theta^2\cos\theta R/2)[/tex]

K: [tex]f(1-\frac{\cos\theta}{2})R-N\sin\theta R=\ddot\theta I_T [/tex]

Two questions thus far: Is my approach correct and how do I determine the total moment of inertia([itex]I_T[/itex])?

Thanks

[edit] Silly me: the moment of inertia about c should be [itex]I_T=m_1R^2+m_1\frac{R^2}{4}+m_2R^2[/itex]

thus [tex]I_T=m\frac{9R^2}{4}[/tex] Is this correct?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2004 #2
    Ok, simplifying the above I get:

[tex]\ddot\theta+\dot\theta^2\frac{4\sin\theta+4\cos\theta}{1+4\sin\theta+4\cos\theta}+\frac{8g}{R(1+4\sin\theta+4\cos\theta)}=0[/tex]

Thus the linear function for small angles of theta becomes:

[tex]\ddot\theta+\frac{8g}{R(5+4\theta)}=0[/tex]

Is this correct?

Thanks

Last edited: Dec 11, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?