How does motor slipage affect fan performance with a VFD?

In summary, the VFD will keep the motor torque constant, so the RPM will be the same at 30Hz as it is at 1750 RPM.
joshman
Im a HVAC contractor/designer. I am looking to install a fan unit with a VFD. This is 3 phase, 60HZ, 460 volts, 40HP AC motor.

Im trying to create a "system curve" like a fan curve that would show the cfms at various frequency settings being changed by the VFD. I can reiterate or integrate my ductwork calculations for multiple rpms of a fan curve. And I know that RPM theoretically varies linearly with frequency, but I am wondering how much or much less, motor slipage will occur at lower frequencies. you see my question is: If 60hz=1750 RPM does 30Hz really = 875 RPM? I am not speaking theoretically.

Maybe someone has seen a motor curve of rpm vs Hz?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi joshman,
joshman said:
Im trying to create a "system curve" like a fan curve that would show the cfms at various frequency settings being changed by the VFD. I can reiterate or integrate my ductwork calculations for multiple rpms of a fan curve. And I know that RPM theoretically varies linearly with frequency, but I am wondering how much or much less, motor slipage will occur at lower frequencies. you see my question is: If 60hz=1750 RPM does 30Hz really = 875 RPM? I am not speaking theoretically.

Well, first of all, are you aware that for a VFD you really need to keep the Volts per Hertz (V/Hz) ratio constant in order to keep motor torque constant? So in your example, you will want to change the voltage to 230V when you bring the frequency down to 30 Hz. If you do not, you will change the total torque output, and this will affect your slippage.

Maybe someone has seen a motor curve of rpm vs Hz?
Well, the exact equation (ignoring slippage) also includes the number of poles in the motor: Speed (RPM) = 120*freq/npoles. The following page has a good summary of VFDs and an estimate for slippage, as well as some info on typical means for controlling VFDs:

http://www.joliettech.com/what_is_a_variable_frequency_drive.htm

Did this help? If you like, we can discuss the specifics of the mass flow rate... as this is really a question of the fan's aerodynamic efficiency at varying speeds and fan pitch.

Rainman

Motor slipage can have a significant impact on fan performance when using a VFD. As the frequency decreases, the motor slipage increases and the actual speed of the motor may not match the set frequency. This can cause a decrease in the fan's airflow and pressure output.

In your case, with a 40HP AC motor, the motor slipage may not be as significant as with smaller motors. However, it is still important to consider when creating your system curve.

To accurately determine the fan performance at different frequencies, it would be best to consult the motor manufacturer's data sheet for the specific motor you are using. This will provide you with a motor curve that shows the relationship between RPM and frequency.

In general, the relationship between RPM and frequency is not always linear due to the effects of motor slipage. Therefore, it is important to consider this when creating your system curve and adjusting the frequency on the VFD.

Additionally, it may be beneficial to conduct testing or use simulation software to determine the actual fan performance at different frequencies. This will provide you with more accurate data to use in your calculations and design.

Overall, motor slipage should be taken into consideration when using a VFD to control fan speed. By understanding the motor curve and conducting testing or simulations, you can accurately determine the fan performance at different frequencies and ensure optimal performance of your fan unit.

1. What is a VFD and how does it affect motor performance?

A VFD, or Variable Frequency Drive, is an electronic device used to control the speed and torque of an electric motor. It works by varying the frequency and voltage supplied to the motor, allowing for precise control of its speed and performance. This can lead to improved motor efficiency, reduced energy consumption, and smoother operation.

2. What are the benefits of using a VFD for motor performance?

There are several benefits to using a VFD for motor performance. These include improved energy efficiency, reduced wear and tear on the motor, and the ability to adjust motor speed and torque for different applications. Additionally, VFDs can provide soft start and stop functions, which can extend the lifespan of the motor and reduce the risk of equipment damage.

3. Can a VFD be used with any type of motor?

While VFDs are compatible with most types of motors, there are some limitations. VFDs are typically used with three-phase AC induction motors, but they can also be used with some single-phase motors. It is important to consult with a VFD manufacturer or a knowledgeable electrician to determine the compatibility of a VFD with a specific type of motor.

4. How do I select the right VFD for my motor?

The selection of a VFD depends on several factors, including the type and size of the motor, the desired speed range, and the application requirements. It is important to consult with a VFD manufacturer or an electrician to determine the appropriate VFD for your specific motor and application needs. Additionally, proper installation and programming of the VFD are crucial for optimal motor performance.

5. Can a VFD improve motor performance in an existing system?

Yes, a VFD can be retrofitted into an existing motor system to improve its performance. By controlling the motor speed and torque, a VFD can help optimize energy consumption and reduce wear and tear on the motor. However, it is important to carefully assess the existing system and consult with a professional to ensure proper installation and programming of the VFD for optimal performance.