1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

VI Characteristic

1. Jan 28, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have the following circuit: http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q208/infinitbelt/ProblemSet3Circuit1.png

Also, the following is known:
    X=60 V
    R1= 10 Ω
    R2= 20 Ω
    R3= 10 Ω
    R4=5 Ω
    R5=20 Ω
    R6 = 5 Ω

2. Relevant equations

V = IR
    y = mx + b

3. The attempt at a solution

How do I go about finding a V-I characteristic of this circuit? I know that the slope of the graph is the resistance but I am confused as to how to start this one. I found the resistance across the source by using circuit reduction. I got that to be 32 ohms. So is the V-I characteristic just V = 32i? or is it just a constant line y = 60? (in this case V is on the y-axis and I is on the x-axis)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2008 #2

You can consider the voltage source X as a resistor with zero resistance. It's characteristic is a line parallel to the I axis, passing through V = 60.
    X is in series with R1 and R2, so you can associate their characteristics.
    Since this sub circuit is in parallel with R3, you can now associate their characteristics.
    The resultant characteristic is associated with R4 and R5 which are in series and finally that characteristic is associated with R6 in parallel.
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?