1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Viable for geophysics degree?

1. Aug 29, 2009 #1
    I've posted on a few geology and geophysics forums, but as someone said in a post somewhere here, trying to get an answer in one of those types of forums would take a while because geologists are too busy looking at the ground and watching rocks move.

Anywho, onto my question. I've recently decided to try and pursue a degree in geophysics for graduate school, but I have a problem. At the university I attend, there isn't any sort of geology, geophysics, or related degree program or concentration. The closest that is offered in a biology concentration in earth sciences which focuses more on things like environmental issues, habitats, and what have you. I currently am going for an undergraduate degree in applied mathematics with a minor in physics. I also plan to take as many geology classes as I can get. Unfortunately, there is not a wide selection of these types of classes to choose from. The only classes offered are these:
    • Intro to Geology
    • Petroleum Geology
    • Environmental Geology
    • Coastal Marine Geology
    • Basic Hydrogeology
    • Geomorphology
    • Paleoanalysis - Lakes and Environmental Change
    • Hydrogeology - Water Resources
    Would this list be a viable one? Other things I could perhaps supplement this list with are field work with a local geologist here, as well as perhaps an internship with a local gas and exploration company which has a few geologists and geophysicists on staff.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted